My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have done this using the Peanut butter jar setup.. I've never tried to do it for more than about 10 minutes though.. I'd honestly never have thought it'd be any better than a normal carburetor... :2th:

-Stan

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Nice!! Might try this soon!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Seems like something you'd see on Myth Busters!

Kind of makes you want to rig up something similar only a little more long-term, doesn't it.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Interesting idea! I keep looking at the ones where they smolder wood and burn the fumes. Thing I worry about though is your running the engine extremely lean with them. Unless you were running an engine with pistons, valves, heads built to handle the heat I question how long it would run without damage. Also you pretty much have a bomb there waiting to go off if the engine backfires through the intake which when running lean is a good possibility. Really needs to be some sort of a check valve / flame arrester gismo in there to perform the function of an injector. Bubbling the vapor through a secondary container of water on the way to the intake might prevent it from flashing back into the gasoline. But that would add even more restriction to the intake's air flow and for real horsepower it has to pump some serious air through. :dunno:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Thing I worry about though is your running the engine extremely lean with them. Unless you were running an engine with pistons, valves, heads built to handle the heat I question how long it would run without damage.
I was thinking this as well.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I may try it with my "Weekly beater" Tecumseh mower.. I've run that thing on all sorts of vaguely flammable liquids just to experiment (Rubbing alcohol, Camp fuel, Tiki Torch fuel, propane etc..)

I imagine, as Mark and Austen said.. The engine would run very lean.. and as a result, Very hot.. All to come.. better make a bubbler.

-Stan

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im not trying to push this gas vapor idea, I don't know anything about it, I know so much now thats there's no more room in my brain for further knowledge.
I did find it interesting , here is something I seen on the net. Run Your Car On Vapors | Fuel-Efficient-Vehicles.org

I think like some of you are questioning this venture, there will be draw backs, if nothing else "at least some safety factors. I certainly would not advise this to be tried without exspearenced supervision. "INFACT, Im not sure that this thread shouldnt be deleted from the MLF forum!" DRB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts