My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met a fella who had this among some other pretty neat stuff while out garage sale-ing. Thought you guys might get a kick out of it.
This thing was huge and the handles rotate so you could walk on either side, like the troy horses.

Rototiller 1.jpg

Rototiller 2.jpg

Rototiller 3.jpg

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Interesting! I really like the front grill, lots of character.

Never seen one before, very neat machine and thanks for posting the photos.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Now that's some heavy duty equipment there. Bet that was pretty interesting to see and talk about. Tell me you brought it home with you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
WOW, you do not see one of those every day!!!

It is a Graham Paige with a Fraiser engine. The engine is a 2 cycle and depending on model will be 5, 6 or 7 horsepower. They are one **** of a tiller. The tilling end of a Graham Paige is really unique, instead of turning the soil over like a conventional rotary tiller, they used an in-house design with what looks like a set of very heavy duty spring loaded aerators. When engaged they whack against the soil pulverizing any had spots. The "aerators" had a bend at the end of them which worked like a spoon, shoveling the now loose dirt up and slinging it to the top. They work and sound like NO other. What I would do to have one sitting next to my Howard Gem and Ariens Trans-A-Matic! Graham Paige also made 2 wheel walk behind tractors and a small garden tractor, all of which are extremely rare. If you ever see or use this tiller, you will see why they used a 2-cycle engine! The length of the machine was rather on the short side, and when you engaged the tines, the front end would stick way up in the air. I suspect that they originally planned on using a 4-cycle model before realizing the detriment of oil starvation. The sealed crankcase 2-cycle fixed this issue, and will run at any angle as long as it can get fuel!

Very cool machine, I hope you or who ever now owns it really takes care of it, fixes it up and brings it to vintage power equipment shows. They are quite rare and definitely worth restoring!

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one did not go home with me unfortunately but the price was a little high and I already had to explain to the (supportive) wife how I ended up with the Gravely walk behind that was on the trailer while I was talking to this gent :) He may have it for awhile as he was not actively selling it, but he would to an enthusiast if they were interested.

I may stop back by one day and see if he is any more motivated. Nice guy though and quit the collection of stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts