My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems recently with all the whats old is new fashions and a generation eco friendly urban dwellers growing up and wanting a lawn the Rotary Mower Is Back! This article Great Article from TorontoLife.com re introduces us all to the now eco-fashionable rotary mower your grandpa had and a program with Lee Valley Tools to help you trade up to the more eco-friendly model! Read more by clicking the link below.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's a good article. It even has instructions on how to use the mower.:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow good article, thanks for sharing :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
"Keep the neighbors dog away" haha. It takes me 3 hours to mow and trim my yard. I wonder how long with one of those? It would be nice for a small yard but for me nah I will stay with the earth polluting motors until I get me some goats. But still they pollute the earth too! Just not as bad. Termites are the ones who have the most gas and pollute the earth the most. Then cows then I have no clue.

·
Banned
15 Posts
I aquired an old Jacobsen greens mower a few years ago and it has sat in my shed since. I did some looking around and found it has a 321 engine 2 stroke?

Anyway, I don't have a putting green but am still thinking about getting it out and tinkering with it and seeing how well it runs. I have never started it but was told it wasn't running when I got it.

I can take some pics if you guys would like, maybe this engine would fit on a regular Jake reel mower I could use in the yard. if I could find one that needed an engine, but I will be satisfied for now just to get it running.

Any pre start tips before I dive in?

Maybe this is in the wrong forum, but you guys were talking about old reel mowers so maybe you know something about them. Thanks

·
Administrator
6,218 Posts
I see some of them looking like new being sold at yards sales. I'm sure the homeowner started out with good intentions until they found out (or remembered) how much work it was to push them through a yard with good growth. Also they were not the greatest for cutting weeds. Dandelions and buck horn were good at making it though them intact.

I have two antique manual reel mowers. One full size and the other about half size with a single drive wheel for trimming. (Sorry, I don't have digital photos of them yet. ;))

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Proper mowing attire includes "old man shoes" and apparently black knee high socks with your shorts. Nice. I had a Scotts Classic for a few years and used it every other time I mowed. Then I gave it to my step son, who wanted to do the "green thing". He used if for a while, but he recently gave it back in favor of his gas rotary. I like the wicka wicka wicka noise it makes while mowing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I grew up pushing a Craftsman, wasn't so bad unless my dad wanted me use the grass catcher....first power mower we got was a self propelled Lawnboy, around 1955ish, I believe it was a gold color, man did I love that machine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Will stick to my ride on mower it is bad enuff pushing a gas powered mower in 90+ degrees .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts