My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman Model # 917288070 that will not start. Here is what happened.

Today my wife decides to help mow the grass. She starts the mower and not knowing any better engages the blades and then puts the mower in reverse. Of course it dies and will not start.

I checked and made sure the deck was up and the blades were not engaged. It still would not start.

It cranks but will not start. I replaced the fuel filter and this did not fix the problem.

Any ideas one where to start to troubleshoot?

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Don't bypass any sort of safety devices or switches at all! They are there for a purpose.

First, thank the wife for going out to mow the lawn. Second, after you get the mower running again, go over the proper operation of it with her, and anybody else who might be using it.

Try following all the wires and check for breaks or loose connections. Are there any fuses or breakers in the system anywhere that may have been blown?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think you can disconnect the wires from the switch reconnect them OFF of the switch and try it. AS a LAST resort--- I am wondering if you have sheared flywheel pin???

·
Registered
507 Posts
Please note, the method mentioned in my post is only a temporary testing method and is not intended to be used for any other purpose than testing and diagnostics.

Unplug the seat switch and jump the pins of the connector to the wiring harness with a paper clip. This will rule out a seat switch.

Also, locate the black ground wire on the engine that goes to the magneto(s), and disconnect that and see if the engine will fire. BE PREPARED WITH ANOTHER MEANS OF SHUTTING THE ENGINE DOWN.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Please note, the method mentioned in my post is only a temporary testing method and is not intended to be used for any other purpose than testing and diagnostics.

Unplug the seat switch and jump the pins of the connector to the wiring harness with a paper clip. This will rule out a seat switch.

Also, locate the black ground wire on the engine that goes to the magneto(s), and disconnect that and see if the engine will fire. BE PREPARED WITH ANOTHER MEANS OF SHUTTING THE ENGINE DOWN.
i would choke the engine to kill it

·
Registered
686 Posts
If she had it choked when she started it and then killed it while running it rich it might be the plug is fuel fouled. Have you pulled the plug to see if it's wet and possibly not firing ??
Just basics, do you have fuel and do you have spark ??
Have you tried to give it a shot of starting fluid to see if it will fire ??

It just seems strange the seat switch would choose that moment to fail, it's sure possible but I don't think safety switches are the first thing I'd be checking.

I would guess she flooded it. That's what I would be looking at if it was my GF in that situation and it died just after starting and she tried to restart it cold. :2cents:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My son went out yesterday to move it and it started right up. I got home and went out and started it. It ran rough for a few minutes and then smoothed right out. I was able to mow the yard with no problems. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
686 Posts
And life is good once again :cool

·
Registered
730 Posts
Next time wife wants to mow....pour yourself a cold one, sit down and watch ..! {seriously, If gas tank is high mounted, may want to add a fuel shut off valve in fuel line, "off" whenever parked....in case your carb is starting to flood...}

·
Registered
686 Posts
Sounds like she just needs to let it warm up a bit before engaging the deck and then once the engines recovered put it in gear.
:idea: I try to be kind to mine and I always have the throttle down when I engage the PTO, throttle up and then take off. Once in a while I have it a little too low and it kills but so far no problems with getting it restarted again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
new to me a older riding mower. have the same kind of problem. ran great, then died. could only restart using sf. parked it, next day it fired right up no problem.
yes first day played with the seat kill switch. air cleaner is very dirty. but on or off no change.
going to get a replacement filter plugs and do the oil. as well as check (cleaning and "grease" all the connections). even though it is a fuel issue.
carb rebuild?
where can one get books of these older units. believe sold new in 1990.
model # 917258170 ser# 020697000****.
motor: b/s I/C platinum 19 hp turbo cool with the craftsman name on it. sold by sears, roebuck and co.
42 in deck, 6 speed.

was told the hood is not the factory so not sure if the model number/name is correct but says LT1000 and craftsman in big letters
green with yellow strip on side of hood.

:pics:if and as i can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
been able to get everything needed, but carb rebuild kit.
new carb (if possible) quoted at just under $300.usd.
two different carbs listed. :2cents:
surging i can live with for now, running real gas (one gallon at $19.99) mixed into old stuff with carb cleaner. when empty real gas, and then a good testing. :ThumbUp:

but for some reason when motor is hot, if stopped will not restart.
need to change the fuel lines,(old lines, some very small cracks) no gas smell. starting fluid starts right up so a fueling problem. but for now out of it. (my old can must have been over 5 years old).

·
Registered
10 Posts
been able to get everything needed, but carb rebuild kit.
new carb (if possible) quoted at just under $300.usd.
two different carbs listed. :2cents:
surging i can live with for now, running real gas (one gallon at $19.99) mixed into old stuff with carb cleaner. when empty real gas, and then a good testing. :ThumbUp:

but for some reason when motor is hot, if stopped will not restart.
need to change the fuel lines,(old lines, some very small cracks) no gas smell. starting fluid starts right up so a fueling problem. but for now out of it. (my old can must have been over 5 years old).
let the mower sit two hrs and fires right up??? :soap:

·
Registered
686 Posts
When it won't start hot have you checked to see if you still have good spark ??

·
Registered
730 Posts
Agree with Kiss4afrog....key word is "good" spark...Can fool yourself sometimes with starting fluid, it may fire back up when warm...needs less power in the spark..but you may still have a failing coil....Thinking a spark gap tester or swap in a different coil...to rule it out...

·
Registered
10 Posts
had not thought about spark.
will look into it next week, as i work weekends.

just do not want to be chasing down a problem by replacing things... gets costly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts