My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well...... If Eric can do it.... I can do it! :sarcasm: Decided to try my hand on an easy one. Grandma's 05 Poulan Pro 42" hydro 20HP B&S Intek. It's running but could be better. It needs a oil change, all filters changed, spark plug change, and the main reason why it ended up at my house.

IMG_20150418_154831_492.jpg

Can't forget about seat repair... Learned a little from Five Points. I'm gonna try my hand at gorilla glue!

IMG_20150418_154839_599.jpg

IMG_20150418_154900_897.jpg

Notice anything different about this picture?

IMG_20150418_154921_390.jpg

What I plan to do is order a new mandrel and that should take care of that. The deck is in good shape for 10 yrs old. It's always been kept under her carport on a concrete slab.

The lawnmower has been maintained by myself each year since she's owned it changing all of the routine parts..... So I see this tractor as a prime example of it you take care of the main things your machines will last you....

On the other hand she let someone borrow it and they left it out in the weather for sometime and you can see what the outside elements did to the body as well as the engine compartment. Nothing a little simple green and a pressure washer can't cure! :2th: So without going into this any further I'm gonna strip it down and take it one step at a time....

One more thing I guess I need to invest in a photo sharing account like photobucket since my room is almost full on the pictures that I can add.

Stay Tuned.....

P.S. I'm gonna have questions so...... keep your ears on! :ROFL

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sweet tractor! We like those colors! I just bought a Craftsman LTX1000 last night. Had bad hydro. Looking forward to your success!

Reactions: bwhitsonjr

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet tractor! We like those colors! I just bought a Craftsman LTX1000 last night. Had bad hydro. Looking forward to your success!
Cool.... we've actually got twins! :cool

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I meant..... A good spruce up!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tooling away.... Burning the 10:00 pm oil. Decided to attack taking apart the mandrel from the deck. With the help of a cheater bar or the torque wrench I finally got the bolts broke free. Much to my amazement they didn't even come out.... They sheered off.

Below you will find a pic of the tiny space/1 car garage I work in.

I didn't know what to do so I hooked on my Arnold Blade removal tool and wrenched down on the darn thing. Finally they broke free.

Finally everything came apart and pieces went everywhere..... Here's the aftermath.

Definitely think I should order a replacement stripper... That's what the part is called. (get your mind out of the gutter!)

The corners of the mandrel went snap all at once me thinks

Finally I've got my engine looking like one of Eric's..... :)

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/Br...18_221215_352_zpsowv1c8tm.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

That's all for now. More to come when I get the replacement parts in.....

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
You did good! While your at it, replace your fuel line and install a shut-off valve to let you suck gas out of carb when storing it for a while! Easier to do with cover off! Dad just fought that mandrel on Craftsman red deck yesterday. He had to drill out bolts from donor one in saved parts pile.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You did good! While your at it, replace your fuel line and install a shut-off valve to let you suck gas out of carb when storing it for a while! Easier to do with cover off! Dad just fought that mandrel on Craftsman red deck yesterday. He had to drill out bolts from donor one in saved parts pile.
Will do! Thanks for the suggestion Eric.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I continue on this journey here are my findings.....

The mandrel is toast we know that.... But how bad you ask? A picture :pics: speaks 1000 words.... Long overdue for change

IMG_20150420_180045_425.jpg

It's important to mention that the the other mandrel is going down the same path as this one. One corner of the other one is split like this one and I'm wanting to salvage it rather than replace it right now. What's the best fix to help reinforce the break.. JB Weld?

Had to remove the blades for swapping to the new mandrel.... WOW! They definitely need a good sharpening. I can't see they're a good candidate. May be missing too much blade. See what the local shop says.....

IMG_20150420_180105_669.jpg

Also had to purchase some extra bolts as the other ones were seized/broken. Once I put the mandrel on all I'll have to do is get the blades back on and the deck will need a good washing.

I've noticed the brakes for the pulley's are shot..... Are they absolutely necessary to replace? Can something be sub'd for those. Otherwise I can't see anyone local carrying something like that. Will have to order online....

Once the deck is clean and back on next to replace fuel filter with new line and cut-off switch.... Lastly or in-between to tackle the seat repair. This really isn't hat difficult of a project as I work it, but I know it will help me improve my skills so that soon I can start picking up some orphans and try my handy work at repairing engines. :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
X2! Those blades are tired. As for JB welding other mandrel. I am on fence there. Only thing really holding blade in proper spot is mandrel. Guess you could, but I'd change it. Just my two cents! ��

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice X2! And I appreciate your 2 cents :2cents: Eric! I'm definitely gonna get new blades.... Now on the mandrel. I'm not sure about that either. We'll see where I'm at when I finish her up. The first one set me back about $40. I let you know what I decide. Put some more time in on the deck got the new mandrel installed and decided to move the anti-scalp wheels down one notch.... And I also took out the vortex plate on the bottom/front/right. I remember it having to be bent upwards when it caught something that bent it upwards and it caught the blade on that side. Following that the only thing left to do was to continue bending it upwards so it would clear the blade. I don't to replace it so I just took it out. :^: Got the belt back on and the other blade removed. Once I put the new blades on tomorrow it will be pretty much ready to go back on. Slowly but surely.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wondering if anyone can point in the direction of a bumper for this lawn tractor or did they not have bumpers back then? Poulan Pro Model #PB20H42YT. Thanks for the help!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Great work!! This is fun to follow along! Thanks for posting the project. You're doing a great job. :)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I wasn't able to come up with bumper on Google searches?? Maybe EBAY?

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe... I don't really find anything either. :(

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks for the advice X2! And I appreciate your 2 cents :2cents: Eric! I'm definitely gonna get new blades.... Now on the mandrel. I'm not sure about that either. We'll see where I'm at when I finish her up. The first one set me back about $40. I let you know what I decide. Put some more time in on the deck got the new mandrel installed and decided to move the anti-scalp wheels down one notch.... And I also took out the vortex plate on the bottom/front/right. I remember it having to be bent upwards when it caught something that bent it upwards and it caught the blade on that side. Following that the only thing left to do was to continue bending it upwards so it would clear the blade. I don't to replace it so I just took it out. :^: Got the belt back on and the other blade removed. Once I put the new blades on tomorrow it will be pretty much ready to go back on. Slowly but surely.
You can buy just the outer case if you can not spring for the whole lot.
Jus check that yyou have a pair of useable bearings and a decent spindle.
I wuld never do it myself then agin I warrant my repairs for 12 months.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts