My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am getting ready to do a re paint on my 1972 8230
I have read that the grabber green is the best match ... is it close to the 1972 color? Also the raised letters on the deck were they green or black?
Thanks in advance for you input

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info.

What have you all found for best prep. for the magnesium decks? Blasting or media blast etc.

Also what do you do with the model serial number plate? Mask it or paint over or remove...

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Plate

Hi! The model/serial plate is easily removed from below the deck by driving out the pins with a punch. As stated above, Grabber Green is a great match. I have used both the Rustoleum and the Duplicolor and my preference is the Duplicolor although both worked well. If you have access to blasting equipment that can be used. For those of us who don't, I have used with great success a product called Magic Strip by Zinsser. It is a Rustoleum company product. No fumes, clean up with water, non toxic. Brush on and let sit overnight. Scrape off. Use a scrubby pad to remove what's left. Sand, prime and paint. Here is a link. Bill

Zinsser® Magic Strip® Paint & Varnish Remover Product Page

I have the year newer model of yours, the 8231. All original with some new wheels and rollers, plastic parts, etc. Bought from my neighbor lady in 2010 who hadn't used it for 10 years.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts