My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've saved this from the weeds thinking it'd be a cool little project and make a awesome gift for my kids 10th birthday that's 5 weeks away.... Main goal is having a reliable little tractor, put a smile on my kids face and teach him responsibility without him knowing it. I've ordered a harbor freight 5.5hp for it and getting v treads for the rear and 3 rib fronts. Here's my issues....1- need to make it posi trac but don't have a clue about the rear axle and how it works. 2- color schemes, should I redo the original paint work on it considering I can't seem to find many for these online or do it Kubota orange like my father's because my kid loves playing with grampys Kubota and this tractor will sleep side by side with the Kubota. Any history and info y'all may have will be greatly appreciated.. now for what I'm starting with.

Attachments

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Btw the deck is actually in pretty good shape but will not be getting put back on. Probably just going to give away the deck and all associated hardware.... Thanks for adding the jc Penney forum.... Hope it gets more use then mine...... Can't wait to see more.

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Great project!!

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Should be nice! Enjoy the process!

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well got my tracking number today for the motor�� ordering tires in the morning when I get to work. Once I have all that in gonna tare it down clean and sand everything. Still trying to decide on paint. Still having a hard time finding info on this thing. Mtd has no clue from the numbers on the tag but showed pretty solid interest as to what id be doing with it. Asked for me to set a date to bring it to a local dealer and speak with someone they'd be willing to send out. Had to mess with him and told the guy on the phone I was making a lowrider. Hahahahaha. I thought he passed out. Is the rear axle in this called a friction drive? Can't find JACK!

· Administrator
6,319 Posts
I doubt friction drive. Think Snapper was the only one to use that on a rider. I initially thought you might have the MTD vari-drive on it. But with 3-speed transmission that would seem to rule that out.

I see the chain drive to the differential. Does the chain just hook to the side of the transmission and have a big pulley on top driven by a belt from the engine through a spring loaded idler pulley for the clutch? :Thinking:

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt friction drive. Think Snapper was the only one to use that on a rider. I initially thought you might have the MTD vari-drive on it. But with 3-speed transmission that would seem to rule that out.

I see the chain drive to the differential. Does the chain just hook to the side of the transmission and have a big pulley on top driven by a belt from the engine through a spring loaded idler pulley for the clutch? :Thinking:
Yeah belt to the trans horizontal then chain to the axle running vertically. Definitely some kinda limited slip and will lock posi under a had snap but I'd rather just have it locked full time

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Small update. I have all the new tires now. Motor finally showed up yesterday. I found different rear wheels with the right bolt pattern and less then half the backspacing to poke em out a touch and those as well as the fronts are at a friends company who specializes in sandblasting and powdercoating. Gonna tare down the rest of it tomorrow and take him the rear fender Monday. It's coming along finally

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the new to me rear wheels cleaned up and resprayed today. Tires are on and mounted up they really do poke out pretty far I like it. The original wheels sat in about 1.5-2 inches compared to these. Old motors out and that's it for today. To **** hot to do anything else

Attachments

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got some time to myself today and that's been a real pain especially because this has turned into a birthday present for my son who turns 10 this month and I want to surprise him. Regardless here's where I'm at all torn down new tires have the hood and rear fender out for media blasting. Going to try to get the roller sanded down and in primer tonight.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.