My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a JS46 walk-behind mower. I noticed the breather tube (shown as #7 in the diagram below) was ripped at the end that attaches to the air filter. I bought a new one, but I'm concerned about replacing it because it looks like it goes a long way into the block.

Screen shot 2013-09-28 at 11.32.21 AM.png

Has anyone ever replaced one of these? Is there a trick to it or do you just yank the old one out and shove the new one in?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Haven't replaced one on that model but ones that were similar. I'm thinking you may need to just remove the air filter box (Item 6). You may want to replace the seal/gasket if you do remove it though. Taking it off would be easy as far as yanking it off but trying to slide the new one on the nipple might be tricky unless you have some long needle nose pliers or a pair of hemostats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The end that goes to Item 6 isn't bad. That's about 1/2 inch long where it connects to the bottom of the air filter housing. Trouble is, that's the part that's ripped. Now the other end, the straight part where the Item 7 label is pointing, that's all in the block. That's what I'm worried about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a Briggs.

But, this afternoon I took off the engine shroud and the gas tank so I could get to the tube easier. I grabbed it with a pair of pliers at the elbow where it goes into the block, twisted and pulled. It came right out. The new one went in easily, too.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Good deal, glad it was a simple task. Sometimes those tend to turn into a major project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts