My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I switched to an auto battery on my generator a few years ago in order to get the battery in the new NAPA battery box I had to tip the battery and be very careful the posts wouldn't short out on the generator's frame as it was going down into the battery box. I put plastic battery post caps on the old battery but still felt it was dangerous and a problem that needed fixing at some point.

This fall the battery I used went bad and I had to buy a new one so I thought this was the time to fix the problem....so I put a slitting wheel on my mini grinder and lowered the front of the battery box. Now the battery will slip into the battery box safely with room to spare.

Another thing I did was put put a small piece of rubber fatigue pad I had on hand in the bottom of the battery box to help eliminate vibration which destroys lead acid batteries.

Next spring I'm going to put the fatigue pad on my snappers battery holder and the 855's battery holder also.

I have the batteries on trickle chargers for the winter, it a nice felling when I can start the motors no matter what the temps is outside. The auto battery turns the 16 Hp Vanguard over like nothing. The smaller motorcycle battery wouldn't last but a year or two... can't have that on an emergency piece of equipment.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just something else to look at.

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Looks good tackit! Now you can jump start your car with it in a pinch. ;)

BTW, Nice workshop! :cool:

Did you also make the 3 point rack for the sprayer tank?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mark. Never thought about the generator being a portable starting unit for my vehicles, but you're right. :)

Me and the SIL built the frame for the sprayer, sure makes it nice spraying weeds.

It's been a fun shop, but I'm losing interest in building things because of the cost of new and old raw materials and the scarcity of scrap due to china buying it all up.... I can buy things cheaper than it costs to build them today.:(

I have been wanting to buy a 275 gallon oblong oil tank for 4 years, left my name at all the scarp places and have kept my eye open but still haven't found one, they all went to china with the rest of our steel scrap.

I wanted to turn one into a sand blasting cabinet. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been wanting to buy a 275 gallon oblong oil tank for 4 years, left my name at all the scarp places and have kept my eye open but still haven't found one, they all went to china with the rest of our steel scrap.

I wanted to turn one into a sand blasting cabinet. :)
You might check Craigslist, I just checked here in St. Louis and someone had one for free on the 17th, so maybe there are some close to whereever you live. Have a good one. Geo

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks geogrubb for the sugestion but I have lost interest in building one now. I was thinking someone else might want to build one.

Kit's are avaiable that have the window, hose, gun, gloves from [URL="http://www.tptools.com"]www.tptools.com[/URL] .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts