My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 98 Troy-Bilt tuffy and im trying to remove the rear wheels so i can drop the tranny to Lock the Differential but ive taken the Single bolt off the wheel and it Will not budge!!!!

is there something im missing??? its just a single bolt in the middle of the wheel and i dont see anything else but i cant figure it out!!!!!

Anybody have any Ideas???

·
1,329 Posts
i have a 98 Troy-Bilt tuffy and im trying to remove the rear wheels so i can drop the tranny to Lock the Differential but ive taken the Single bolt off the wheel and it Will not budge!!!!

is there something im missing??? its just a single bolt in the middle of the wheel and i dont see anything else but i cant figure it out!!!!!

Anybody have any Ideas???
Is it a key-way wheel to axle? like a sears riding mower.
first suggestion is to use (some knocker loose) type of soak chemical. spray it inner and outer wheel to axle and let it set some hours.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
PB Blaster works well. You'll have to let it soak, spray from the back and front too. If you have access to a torch you may try heating it as well. If that doesn't work you may have to hit it from behind using a block of wood and a hammer. If you get to violent with it, you could shear a clip in the tranny and knock your axle out though. Be patient, it will come off eventually. I just went through this with a Cadet Bug I have.
When you do get it off, make sure you clean the rust off of the axle and put some never seize (spark plug thread stuff works well) on it before you put the rim back on.

·
1,329 Posts
PB Blaster works well. You'll have to let it soak, spray from the back and front too. If you have access to a torch you may try heating it as well. If that doesn't work you may have to hit it from behind using a block of wood and a hammer. If you get to violent with it, you could shear a clip in the tranny and knock your axle out though. Be patient, it will come off eventually. I just went through this with a Cadet Bug I have.
When you do get it off, make sure you clean the rust off of the axle and put some never seize (spark plug thread stuff works well) on it before you put the rim back on.
PB Blaster is good , good clear info there.:2th:

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Heard good stuff about a product called Kroil too.

A trick a motorcycle mechanic I worked for used was to spray WD-40 on the stuck part, then apply some heat with a torch. The heat seemed to draw the WD-40 in. Do that a few times, and like the others said, be patient, and when you get them off, clean everything up really good, coat the surfaces with anti-seize, and all should be good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my wd40 didnt do anything sadly.. and i didnt have time to go to Homedepot today so itll have to wait till sunday... ill be sure to keep yall updated Tho!!

Im also thinking about figuring out how to make it Quieter so i can put some kind of Radio setup on it... Anybody ever do something like that?? doesnt seem like it would be to hard

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I use Freeze and Release on stubron stuff, otherwise I use PB

Freeze and Release can be got at most Auto/Marine parts houses. It may cost a lil more but its the best stuff in a can other than using a fire wrench :ThumbUp:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright i got some PB blaster and soaked it for about 1 1/2 days and then tapped it with a hammer and they Both came Right off!!!!!! Thanks guys!!!!!!! Now i gotta find a way to get my **** Engine pulley off so i can do a swap lol Fun Fun Fun!!

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Now i gotta find a way to get my **** Engine pulley off so i can do a swap lol Fun Fun Fun!!
I like using a large bearing splitter in a puller configuration because it will pull the pulley equally on all edges. A regular 3 jaw puller will work but if its stuck pretty good you can bend the pulley at the contact points.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like using a large bearing splitter in a puller configuration because it will pull the pulley equally on all edges. A regular 3 jaw puller will work but if its stuck pretty good you can bend the pulley at the contact points.
by "Large Bearing Splitter" you mean one of these right?

if-so how do you pull on it??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Attach a puller to the threaded holes on the two halves like in the pic below,

This should work as long as the pulley isn't to big. The pulley should come off without to much trouble unless it was neglected and it was heavily rusted but usually the underside remains a bit oily and some have anti seize put on the shaft when assembled.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha the made in china doesnt bother me at all...

also do you know of anyway i can find out what Transmission my mower has??
i dont really want to start another whole thread for 1 simple question

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Without looking it up, there is probably a decal on the upper side that will have a model and serial# on it. If you can't find it we'll see what we can come up with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.