My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a Mastercraft 15.5 hp lawn tractor (I think they are MTD now) I wanted to remove the blades for sharpening
I managed to remove the left side unscrewing the Nut anticlockwise but the right hand blade nut will not budge at all
would you know if it is a reverse thread on it ie open it clockwise or do I need to use an impact spanner on it
I did soak it with WD40 but still unable to dislodge
thanks in advance
Alex

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello
I have a Mastercraft 15.5 hp lawn tractor (I think they are MTD now) I wanted to remove the blades for sharpening
I managed to remove the left side unscrewing the Nut anticlockwise but the right hand blade nut will not budge at all
would you know if it is a reverse thread on it ie open it clockwise or do I need to use an impact spanner on it
I did soak it with WD40 but still unable to dislodge
thanks in advance
Alex
No, they're both the same right hand threads. Use an impact wrench. It's not unusual for them to be on tight. Iusually put mine on with a ratchet and snug them up good, but it's always easier to remove them with an impact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey badbart, I recently had the same problem with my rider. The right side was so tight that I couldn't get it loose with the deck on sawhorses with a good impact wrench. I had to take the whole spindle out and get it in a vise to break it loose. I would think that if you caught a root or something solid with the blade it would tend to tighten the bolt. At least that's what I thought happened to me.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
If you don't have an impact wrench heat the area with a torch, then spray Kroil or WD40 on the threads and let it seep in for about ten minutes. The heat helps draw it into the thread where it is most needed. Just be careful that you don't damage the threads or nut if you use an impact wrench.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts