My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lawn boy MODEL # R8241AE and I believe it to be a 1984 model? Anyway, I'm trying to fix it for my sister who has a hard time manually starting her own (this lawn boy is battery start). Anyway, after messing with the original relay one night weeks ago = using wires from a battery to "engage" it several times and then putting the mower back together, I got it running! About a week later I tried it again and it wouldn't start. I inserted a wire in the spark plug wire so that I could hold the bar back and turn the switch while holding the wire close to the mowers handlebar - no spark. I even held between my fingers and again no spark. So, I took it apart enough to get to the relay again. I tested the opposite posts as instructed via a net site and found the top and bottom posts had no continuity (posts 87 & 30), so I figured that to be the problem. I ordered one online this week and just now put it on. Once I got the mower together and tried it, again it wouldn't start! Again, I hooked a wire into the spark plug wire to check for spark and had none. I then removed the tank, battery box, and battery to get to the relay. I unplugged the new one and it now has the same posts without continuity! Perhaps I should have checked it before I put it on but I didn''t and now wish I had, but is there a reason why these relays are burning out between the same two terminals??????

Thanks for any help, Bill

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
I don't think that they relay would be the cause for the no-start. Leaning more towards the switch or kill wire from the coil. I looked at the schematic of your machine and appears that the relay only supplies power to the starter. You might check the switch to make sure it is making contact. Also trace down the kill wire and make sure there are no cuts or shorts. If that doesn't work, you might try "baking" the coil. Take it off, set on a piece of foil, and put in 200 degree oven for about an hour to bake out any moisture.

During all this, does the engine turn over when the key is turned?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts