My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Honda doesn't make riding lawn mowers anymore and I know nothing about the other brands available. I've never bought anything other than Honda power equipment (except for the stuff they obvously never made).

There's orange, yellow, red, black, etc. brands, all that are owned by basically one of three companies. I've heard nothing good about MTD stuff ever and MTD is one of those big companies... ug. I know that I have zero faith in B&S engines - my parents B&S Gold or Platinum (I think) walk-behind mower that was actually quiet expensive is the most unreliable piece of crap on earth. I hear that Kohler is probably better. I am inclined to go for one with a Kawasaki engine, which gets expensive!

But #1 requirement: lever operated hydrostatic with ZERO ninny nanny safety crap preventing me from simply going forward and going backwards with the blade engaged. I don't have the time or patience to be going through a process map just to mow my lawn. On my Honda, which I love, move lever forward, go forward. Move lever backward, go backward. Blade on or not. Simple. I don't want to deal with a go pedal. My lawn is far too bumpy and hilly to be dealing with go pedals (plus I have bad ankles). I need my feet planted to keep myself stable, not pushing pedals. Brake pedal is fine but I rarely use it as I can just slow down with my hydrostatic.

I have been to every lawn mower website, big box, etc. I don't have time to car dealership myself at a dealer right now. Was hoping that maybe someone out there had a recommendation that meets my requirements. And if nothing exists, I would rather spend the $900 to get a new transmission on a 17 year old mower than get anything out there that's new, haha. This Honda has proven its reliability (I'm the one that broke it!) and I have no interest in chancing it with a problem child that cost me $2K, either.

Can anyone save the day for my picky butt?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It's sounds like it's safe to say that you've been pleased with the performance, dependability and ergonomics of your Honda. It's what you're accustomed to and what has set the standard for you and if it wasn't for the trans, you'd be without complaints.

That said, what is the particular model of your Honda? While parts can be difficult to find for Honda riding mowers and it might take some time to locate, a used transmission may be a viable option for you instead of purchasing a new $$$ replacement. Sometimes you can find someone who's either parting out a machine on Craigslist and selling individual parts or you might be able to find the part on Ebay.

In terms of purchasing a brand new machine, it's going to be a little difficult finding a riding mower that has a hand controlled hydrostat. Most all models built today are foot controlled. Typically the consumer line up will usually have the reverse safety feature as well- this is typically less found in the commercial grade line ups. A gear driven machine might be an option too but I think you'd be more pleased to have the hydrostat. Others will probably chime in with some suggestions on particular models that have hand controlled hydrostats.

I would still not give up on your Honda yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually was able to fix my Honda's transmission tonight. Hopefully it lasts as it didn't have it easy the past few days but everything is working again. Bleed procedure in the Honda shop manual wasn't cutting it. Used a drill instead on the main pulley bolt... got the oil flowing. Go figure...

And I did find two Huskys that are laid out exactly like my Honda, more or less. 38 and 42 inch model, their lowest end models on their website. Baffles me the Honda's configuration isn't more commonplace. I've used pedals on rough lawns and you're always losing speed or forcing a lot of pressure on your ankle so unnecessarily due to bumps. Don't understand why a lawn tractor would be setup like a car... it's not a car.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I actually was able to fix my Honda's transmission tonight. Hopefully it lasts as it didn't have it easy the past few days but everything is working again. Bleed procedure in the Honda shop manual wasn't cutting it. Used a drill instead on the main pulley bolt... got the oil flowing. Go figure...
That's great news! :2th:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts