My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dilemma all started last week. Got into the shop on Monday and there was a mysteriously green Husqvarna that had been repainted..but they painted over the decals on the hood but put new decals on the frame?

Anyways, work order said that it had been stored for a long time but had fresh gas and would not start, and that it was due for an annual inspection. Pulled it out, put it on the lift, and tried cranking it over. Had great compression, 70 pounds cold. Pulled the carb off, sprayed some carb cleaner into the intake and cranked. Still no dice. So I pulled the shroud off, cleaned all the cooling fins(had an oily sludge/dirt gunk all over the block), and hooked up the spark tester. Nothing. Pulled the plug, stuck it in a GX340 Honda and the ol' Honda started and idled on one pull. Clearly not the plug. Unplugged the kill wire and tried again, still nothing. Ordered a new coil. While we waited for the coil, I kept going down the annual sheet. "Perform Leak Down Test". This is where it gets bad.

Did the leak down test, had a massive and I mean MASSIVE leak somewhere. Kinda felt like the exhaust because it comes out the bottom of the head. Pulled the exhaust off..one nut came off just fine, one nut pulled the stud out with it. Did the test again...not the exhaust. Massive head gasket leak.

SO...I pull the carb and airbox off the head, both intake gaskets are bad(carb-airbox and airbox-engine). Pull the valve cover off, and duct taped all the bolts to the cover so I didn't lose which ones go where because they're all different. Pulled the head, nothing really looked off except the hollowed out head gasket. I was told to check for a warped head..the head in some places was out-of-flatness by 0.015''. Luckily the block was...decent. Ah..learning experiences. I was told to "resurface" the head. What he meant was take a piece of sandpaper and the nearest work bench, and move the head around on the sandpaper. Got that done and then recruited to help a classmate on another project that needed to be out by Thursday. Still waiting for parts to get in..next week. So, work will resume the week after.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I'll be the devils advocate, why is it you hate Kohlers? Sounds like the same work we all have done on any slightly neglected engine.:ROFL

Is this a vo-tech type shop? You mentioned classmate.

I have a friend that worked in a motorcycle shop when he was younger and told me they use to use a very heavy thick piece of glass and valve grinding compound and would work a head across it to help true it up.
Keep us posted on the Kohler project :cool

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be the devils advocate, why is it you hate Kohlers? Sounds like the same work we all have done on any slightly neglected engine.:ROFL
Just getting into it, probably an impulsive hate. If you heard my vocabulary when I'm working on a tough project...

Is this a vo-tech type shop? You mentioned classmate.
Indeed it is.

I have a friend that worked in a motorcycle shop when he was younger and told me they use to use a very heavy thick piece of glass and valve grinding compound and would work a head across it to help true it up.
Building is being renovated, could probably find a piece of glass pretty easily :sidelaugh
Keep us posted on the Kohler project :cool
Will do, won't be back in the shop until the 5th of May however
See above.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let's see ?...when I went to my first classroom for engine repair , that would be Junior High...The instructor loved me because I knew the rules already...Compression...Fuel...Spark (at the right time of course)..I wish I could remember what I forgot or at least what somebody else forgot about engines !

Good Night,
Phil

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gasket kit came in last week, was sitting on the arm of the lift waiting for me today. Got the head scraped down to within spec(0.003'' out-of-flatness) and put the head on with new bolts and torqued them. Tomorrow is valve cover, exhaust, carb and hopefully a fire-up! Had to put a new exhaust lifter in as the old one was seized. Got it unseized but with good used lifters in stock why take a chance.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got her all back together today. Had to botch some of the shroud fasteners, over the past couple weeks some parts went missing. Will be starting it first thing tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Had to botch some of the shroud fasteners, over the past couple weeks some parts went missing.
Coffee cans and zip lock bags! Mark everything with a permanent marker and boxes for the big parts. Keeps me out of trouble most of the time. :p

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Old Kohler engines were bulletproof.. And very well made.. The new Kohler engines (At least for Push mowers) Are simply rebranded Chonda clones.. and very, very cheaply made.

-Stan

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd have to say this one is of the mid-90s vintage. Changed the oil and started it up today. Someone must have touched my parts box, because the wingnut for the air filter was missing. How does a wingnut go missing? The engine runs great, nice and smooth. No abnormal noises. Won't idle, but thats a simple adjustment.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I'm talking about the 1950's to 1990's engines Like this

The new ones Such as this one on this Early Toro made Lawn-Boy were just bombs and wouldn't even last a season.. Causing Kohler to change Chinese supplier and engine style..

-Stan

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got one of those older Kohlers in shop right now too, on one of the seniors' tractors. Old Wheel Horse.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's finally done. It runs, drives, and stops. Lights work too. Doesn't idle great however.

·
Registered
730 Posts
sooo, we learn that the coil was dead, not allowijg any run at all with starting fluid...But , confused how you measured good compression [70# cold] and yet had a massive air leak with leakdown test...? Were you able to repeat the leakdown test after..?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A cold compression test after read 80 PSI. I've seen some engines blow smoke out of a blown head gasket and get the exact same compression reading before and after replacement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts