My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Have a question for you. I have a Lawnboy 7268 that I rebuilt (Rings, Piston, Oil Seals etc) runs great! I put it on the deck of a Lawnboy 8243AE (the one with a key electric start only) This deck has the rear height adjuster, one lever in the middle instead of the individual wheel height adjusters. The problem is theres something wrong with this rear height adjuster. No matter what height it's set on, the rear just falls down and scalps to the dirt. The thing is, the actual lever stays in place. Something is obviously broke, but I'm not quite sure what....I don't have another deck with that height style to look at and reference.

I attached wrapped a metal wire and a couple zip ties around the axle rod and the green bar along the axle rod and that definately helps....however, when going over bumps/unlevel ground or pulling backwards, it still scalps.

My question is this:

Is it possible to convert this type of rear adjustment system to the individual style?
Or even if it's possible, is it more cost effective to just find a deck on Craigslist with the individual height style.

Finally, does anyone know what the problem could be by my description and attached pics? If it's a simple part that needs to be replaced, that would be best case scenario :)

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Hi! Pretty hard to tell from the pictures what the problem is. I only have one capstan drive model and I am trying to recall how the rear axle and bracket assembly is attached. The lever that goes through the deck only adjusts the height and does not actually hold the weight of the mower. From what I remember I think the green bracket pivots and may not be attached correctly since you have removed the capstan drive system. I may try to get up in the garage loft and get a picture of the underside of my mower. That deck can not be converted to the individual wheel adjusters. As you said the best best is to look for a good donor deck, aluminum, with the individual adjusters. Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, hard to tell what is going on by the two pics, but I'll bet that there is some hardware missing with that donor deck and drive group (8243AE). I'm not sure whether you are wanting to use the self-propel function of the donor deck, since you are transplanting a non-self propel 7268 engine on to the donor self-propel 8243AE deck. I think the best thing to do is print up the exploded parts diagram for the drive group of the 8243AE, which will end up being listed as an 8073 in the parts catalogue, and take that diagram and inventory/inspect each part to determine which one(s) are missing, or broken. If the lever that goes through the deck is not moving, then it almost has to be some hardware missing that attaches the axle to the green bar, or where that green bar attaches to the handle brackets.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Okay as near as I can tell the flat green bar pivots on the drive axle, the one with the capstan rollers. All the notched adjuster does is set the height. There must be something going on between the wheel axle and the green flat bar as far as attachment or mounting. There is a spring that holds the notched adjuster tight to the deck and that appears to be there. There is also another tension spring on the left side but I think that is more related to the drive tension when you would push the handle to engage the capstan rollers. Haven't had a chance to look more closely at my mower as I was gone most of the day but I will check it out, maybe tomorrow. Again, your best bet would be to find a donor aluminum deck with the individual adjusters. If you were closer you could have the 7268 deck I have stored away in the garage. Not really interested in shipping anything that big. If you know anybody that comes down toward the Quad Cities that could pick it up for you, let me know. Bill

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Talked on the phone this morning to one of our members and he has numerous capstan drive mowers. He thinks, without seeing a close up picture, that there are a couple of shoulder bolts that attach the axle tabs to the green bar and they may be missing. Should be something holding the axle to the green bar. Bill

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Brian, I think you may be missing one or two bolts on the tab ends of the axle that hold the axle to the #611753 bracket that the height adjuster lever is attached to. The left bolt item #6 is 60766S shoulder bolt and the right item #14 is 611753 bolt. With out these in place the bracket and mower deck would drop down to the ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts