My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, quick explanation. Bought this tractor and guy lied and it had a blown engine. We swapped out a 18.5 single Briggs and it ran ok. Had idle issue where is popped and wheezed, sometimes dying all together. It backfires through carb. Ok, we got a better 18.5 Briggs from a Craftsman with electric PTO capable and fuel pump already. So we swapped them again. This engine ran well for a few days, then acted the same as last one after dad replaced head gasket. Thought dad misadjusted the valves . Did them this morning to spec, were off a hair. Still was crap?? Ok, maybe carb. Dad cleaned the carb, same issue. Swapped carb to other in stock, no luck. Ok, took a carb from RUNNING trade, now acts like it is out of fuel after a bit?? He cleaned it and still not right?? Called my friend Bob, swapped pump and no difference!!
Here is some video for help! You can see it only runs when I choke it out by hand?? Shows me that it is VERY LEAN? This carb just ran another tractor fine???

Here is the original issue, both engines did this!!! WHY!!!????

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kori, I replaced it with BRAND NEW ONE! I thought same thing!!
I get plenty of fuel flow while cranking! I am so lost on this one! We are both tired, spent all day on a hours job! Gave up and worked on a customers tractor.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Its gotta be something on the tractor causing it...

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
X2 vortec! Man it is making us t'o'ed!!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Sorry! I posted on the other thread; didn't see this one. Man, this is weird! I kinda agree with vortec that something on the tractor might be the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries motor! You see why I am going nuts!? LOL Strangest engine/tractor we ever did so far!

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Eric, could there be a problem with the fuel tank itself? Have you tried using another fuel container?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Its gotta be something on the tractor causing it...
:ditto:

I would be inspecting the wiring. Have you put a spark plug tester on the end of the plug to see if the spark is cutting in and out?

It sounds like you've already sorted out the fueling so spark/electrical would be my next place to look.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I would be inspecting the wiring. Have you put a spark plug tester on the end of the plug to see if the spark is cutting in and out?

It sounds like you've already sorted out the fueling so spark/electrical would be my next place to look.
I was just about to say just this.. Examine the wiring.. Maybe something weird is going on...

Also, random question.. Does this tractor have a Fuel bowl Solenoid?

-Stan

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Eric, could there be a problem with the fuel tank itself? Have you tried using another fuel container?
:ditto: Air intake venting or partial blockage in the drain tube or fuel line. Might be at higher rpm the fuel pump has enough suction to overcome it.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, ok tried gravity tank last night, no fuel to fire on still. The fuel bowl is full, solenoid works when tested ( Backfire) The engine WILL run on choke/gas through throat. We are thinking that we broke our normal routine with fuel system cleaning due to fact that tank is so hard to get too. We flushed it, but probably still crap in it, could see gas floating in it. The wiring wasn't messed with due to Briggs to Briggs swap, possible could be in wiring or other issue. Acts fine if you keep it running on choke cleaner, or by extreme choking it. Right now I be the contaminated fuel system dirtied his carb. When looking at bowl, full of gas and did not look like crap in it? :(

·
Registered
507 Posts
Are you sure the connection on the bowl solenoid is tight? It could be getting jostled around causing the solenoid to stick or switch off and on. Just a theory.

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We checked it, but will DOUBLE check when we start on it again! Skipped it and washed the cars and truck instead!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Also thinking of your carb solenoid ---maybe poor electrical connection,,,cutting on/off...Try holding with fingers while running...feel for on/off..or of course, a voltmeter monitoring the lead wire...Assume you changed out the gasoline by now..was thinking of water in gas...perhaps even your storage can...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe check the fuel cap vent to make sure its open and then the lines to the fuel filter to see if they could be sucking air. Like Smitty said try a different fuel tank. Is there a screen in the fuel tank that could be restricted?? If the carb that is on it now ran good on a different engine then you may have an intake manifold or intake gasket leaking. The fact that it runs when you choke it means not enough fuel or to much air from a leak in the intake. Rick

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you sure the connection on the bowl solenoid is tight? It could be getting jostled around causing the solenoid to stick or switch off and on. Just a theory.
Winner chicken dinner!!! We worked on it today and you hit it on head. The engine harness was loose at tractor connection, once I got that fixed ran great!! Mowed neighbors as we mowed this morning. Cuts and runs great!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My JD acted up while cutting the grass today. First died and than would run with some choke . Changed the fuel filter and it ran good for a while the acted up again. The problem turned out to be the vent on the fuel tank. With the vent clogged the fuel pump will suck a vacuum in t he tank and the pump can't over that vacuum Prove it by opening the gas cap when the problem is occurring to see if it runs good then. Rick

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rick, um it IS running fine!? We found the issue was a bad connection to the Electric solenoid in carb. I was telling the guys and giving vortec the credit for guessing right!
Sorry if I wasn't clear! :)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also thinking of your carb solenoid ---maybe poor electrical connection,,,cutting on/off...Try holding with fingers while running...feel for on/off..or of course, a voltmeter monitoring the lead wire...Assume you changed out the gasoline by now..was thinking of water in gas...perhaps even your storage can...
You sir were on the money too! Loose connection at engine harness! Loss of power to solenoid!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts