My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this mower with a Kohler engine. Replaced the blade and did an oil change. Tried to mow with it. Seemed to run really good on flats or uphills. Going down hill it seemed to loose RPM's and smoke a little. Went and mowed my neighbors flat yard and about halfway through it just stalled. Took the air filter off and oil in there. I know that's a problem, but I don't know what caused it or how to fix it. Is it as easy as I just overfilled it and I can take some oil out and be good to go again?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Picked up this mower with a Kohler engine. Replaced the blade and did an oil change. Tried to mow with it. Seemed to run really good on flats or uphills. Going down hill it seemed to loose RPM's and smoke a little. Went and mowed my neighbors flat yard and about halfway through it just stalled. Took the air filter off and oil in there. I know that's a problem, but I don't know what caused it or how to fix it. Is it as easy as I just overfilled it and I can take some oil out and be good to go again?
Over filling would be a likely cause as would tipping the mower on its side with the carb side down. Unless the engine is worn out, removing the excess oil should return the mower to normal. If the air filter got coated with oil, a new filter is needed since air won't pass through it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took a little oil out. Going by the dip stick, it should actually be below full now. Mowed with it this morning. Couple different times the RPM’s dropped slightly but then came back up. Took the air filter out because it acted like maybe it couldn’t breathe. Got done mowing and this is what I have now. Ideas?

Motor vehicle Light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
211 Posts
i assume it was cleaned up well and the oil level adjusted before you mowed. That ^^^ is nasty! The next thing would be to find / look at the crankcase breather to see if it failed. Follow the big rubber tube in the upper right hand corner of the air filter box to see where it goes.
What was the engine model and serial?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am interested in seeing what type of breather valve it has. I don't think a clogged tube is the problem. I am thinking the breather chamber is malfunctioning and not keeping the crankcase from pressurizing.
What was the engine model and serial?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Now that I look at the pic, shouldn’t there be a plastic cover that snaps over top of that diagonal line and partially covers the carb hole? Does that cover create that much pressure to fix my problem?

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
211 Posts
Now that I look at the pic, shouldn’t there be a plastic cover that snaps over top of that diagonal line and partially covers the carb hole?
yes, there should be a cover
Does that cover create that much pressure to fix my problem?
Don't know if that's the total problem. The cover may help cut down the bulk of the oil.

·
Registered
211 Posts
here is the crankcase breather I am suspicious of. Item 3 is a mesh filter and there should be a spring and disc valve. All that sits in a cavity in the crankcase. The cavity also has drain back holes that, if trash gets in them, the back up oil into the breather. Could be when you tipped it over, the oil over flowed the check disc and trash from the crackcase got to the topside and plugged the drain holes. You have to pull the flywheel, open the breather / PVC chamber and run a wire thru the drain back holes to clear them out. Best to replace filter and gaskets, but if the old stuffs in good shape you can re-use them.
Youtub XT675 PVC fix link
Font Line Engineering Art Parallel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts