My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I posted earlier, but I think I posted in the wrong spot. I am ready to buy the above listed mower, but am having trouble. I am trying to buy online, but even though Toro gave the current price of the mower at $2199, I haven't found many dealers willing to honor it. The few that do don't want to state the year of the model they're selling, which maikes me think they are offering last years (or ealier) stock. I have actually asked one dealer 6 times specifically what year is the model he is trying to sell me, and he has evaded the question every time with one excuse or another. Many offer free delivery, but want $60-100 to set t down. (Something they call "tailgate" delivery). And as far as accessories go (bagger, recycle kit, engine guard, etc.) they all want MSR or higher for everything. I also have tried to get honest reviews of this particular mower, but all I can find is canned reviews from Toro or the dealers. I only saw one review on Craig's List that said it was the worst piece of junk he ever bought. The ad was taken down immediately, but not before I read it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in Indianapolis, Indiana. I currently have a John Deere X300. I want this Toro, but am having a hard time of it.

Thanks,

Dustman

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
The Timecutter series is a light-duty homeowner line. I'm not a fan of the Kohler Courage engines that they employ; they have a nasty habit of throwing rods and blowing up. :( I'd say that the X300 you have now is a better constructed machine, although it may not mow as fast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, motorhead 12

Thanks for the post. My JD has a Kawasaki 17 HP engine, the Toro I am looking at supposedly has a 16HP Toro engine. I did see the letters KW in the engine number. Is this another Kawasaki or is it really a Toro engine. Does Toro even build their own engines? If not, who does it and do they do a good job? Is there a better zero turn than the Toro I mentioned? What brand? Reviews?

Please advise, and thanks again,

Dustman

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I don't believe the model you mentioned has a Kawasaki engine. It's branded as a "Toro" engine, but Toro doesn't make their own engines, so I assume it's some sort of MTD rig. It's likely made in China, and probably not at the same level of quality as a Kawa.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great information!

Wow, Motorhead12, that is a lot of great information! I was about ready to sell my JD, but the buyer backed out because he saw a cheapie JD at Home Depot for less money than I was asking for my X300. I went down to look at the competition model and it looks like a piece of junk. Maybe I will stick with my JD!

Thanks again,

dustman

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you are looking to speed things up, you might want to consider a Tow Behind Offset Mower. Tractor Supply and lots of others sell Swisher Tow Behinds. I think you can buy them from Swisher directly, as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts