My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My mower has been having a strange issue all year long. Basically, it will fire out more while smoke than I have ever seen come out of a mower and stops when I turn the blade off. If I keep mowing it eventually stops and does not happen again for a few weeks or months. This has persisted through multiple oil changes, gas, etc. It does not appear to be losing oil or at least not very measurable. I would guess it happens once every 20 mows.

A few years ago the gasket was leaking which caused non-stop white smoke and eventually blew the connecting rod. I put a new rod in and rebuilt the engine and it has been fine since then until this started. Any help is appreciated. I really don't want to blow it up again.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Is it a liquid-cooled engine? White smoke usually means that coolant is being burned if oil loss is not happening.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Check the oil level after it has been sitting. Smell it to detect an odor of gasoline also. If the oil level is high(er) and / or smells like gas, you may have a carburetor leaking fuel into the oil. When that happens, on start up and running, the oil / gas burn off and produce a white / blue / gray smoke until it burns off. If the gas dilutes the oil, it will ruin the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. It is an air cooled engine so it does not have any kind of coolant. I have recently changed the oil and while I do not notice a gas smell, it does appear to be darker than I would expect. I will try cleaning up the carburetor and change the oil again.

I got a good video of the issue from my security camera that I need to find a way to upload, in case that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts