My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I will be moving from an apartment into a house this Spring, so I am going to be purchasing a lawn mower in the near future. The yard is not very big, so a basic push mower should do the trick. I just wanted to stop by here and see if you all have any suggestions or recommendations for me?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
First off, :welcome: to MLF!!

Congrats on your new home, that's exciting! :cool

I would recommend Honda, Ariens or Toro for starters. All three have proven to be reliable machines for the homeowner.

If you can, we usually tend to recommend purchasing from a dealership vs. a box store. Typically, you'll receive more support and also have the knowledge base of the company firsthand. This allows you to take a "test drive" of the machines as well which isn't not something you're probably going to be offered at Home Depot.

Keep us posted.

Honda Lawn Mowers - HRX HRR HRC HRS Mowers

Ariens Walk Behind Lawn Mowers | Walk Your Way to a Perfect Lawn

Toro | Walk Behind Lawn Mowers, Electric Mowers, Zero Turn Mowers

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Hi there OutdoorGuy and Welcome!

I also Recommend Ariens and Honda, However.. Toro has been cheapening rather drastically recently..

If you Are interested in a Used mower, I cannot recommend Lawn-Boy Enough.. The old ones are built out of spring steel and rawhide.. So are the old Toros for that matter..

And Once again, Welcome!

-Stan

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum and glad you decided to jump in. Sounds like you have some good suggestions already.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Welcome to MLF. All I can add is ditto to what the other guys said. Hope you'll come back and share your experiences in making the decision on which mower.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I did some searching online and found a nice Husqvarna that caught my eye. It's the Husqvarna 7021P. Based on what I can see it looks like a pretty nice mower. Plenty of positive reviews and an "Expert" recommendation from Mowers Direct.

Here's the mower itself:
Husqvarna 961 33 00-19 7021P 21-Inch 160cc Honda 3-in-1 Push Lawn Mower

Any opinions on this mower?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used to own a Honda made push mower and was very happy with it. I did the service every year and always cleaned good after every mowing. It was way mow expensive than other brands, but to me it was worth it. Never had any trouble with it at all, ever. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I did some searching online and found a nice Husqvarna that caught my eye. It's the Husqvarna 7021P. Based on what I can see it looks like a pretty nice mower. Plenty of positive reviews and an "Expert" recommendation from Mowers Direct.

Here's the mower itself:
Husqvarna 961 33 00-19 7021P 21-Inch 160cc Honda 3-in-1 Push Lawn Mower

Any opinions on this mower?
That's not a bad machine.. But I think in the long run you will be disappointed..

There is nothing inherently wrong with these mowers, But they are made of very flimsy components.. Very thin deck, no bearings in the wheels, Flimsy handle, Very thin bag etc..

You can expect needing to replace the bag within the first few years, The wheels within 4 years or so and the wheel height adjuster gear are very prone to failure on these models..

I'm not trying to be a downer.. This is from my own experience as a small engine mechanic...

-Stan

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome first off !!
X2!! Kori knows about these push mowers!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Regardless of what brand of mower you do choose, take that video you posted as a clue of some very important things. While it was a pretty good review of the mower, it was a better lesson of what not to do with your new mower.

First, you might be a card carrying guy like so many of us are, but don't let your "guyness" keep you from reading that owner's manual, from cover to cover, before you do anything with the mower. Record the serial numbers in the proper place provided in it, and then put it somewhere you can find it in the future.

For instance, that fellow didn't think he needed all that oil. Right out of the box he could have destroyed his new engine.

Then he didn't catch the fact that the grass bag needed some final assembly to function properly or that the wheels should all be set at the same height setting.

As has been suggested before, I'd recommend going to a dealer for the knowledge, and more importantly, the support they can offer in making the selection of mower and it's service after the sale.
Looking at the price suggested for that Husqvarna on mowers direct, I'd recommend you stop by a Honda Dealer to take a look at this model.
http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/models/hrr216pka
A Toro dealer to examine their offerings like this one.
http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Mowers/Walk-Power-Mowers/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=20319

1 - 11 of 11 Posts