My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I have a problem that took some time to develop. The last time I mowed my lawn backyard, I ran over two large dog toys (my lawn was quite long and I didn't see them. I was able to finish mowing after this happened. I was able to mow my front and side yard twice since hitting these very hard toys. When I got to the back yard, my mower all of the sudden would not run. I added gas as it was quite low but the mower would not start. I cleaned the air filter and it would not start. Then I tried to pull again and it did not sound right, it like skipped in the pull. I tried it again and it was back to normal but still not starting. It felt weird again on another try and now the rope does not even turn the flywheel. The rope seems to pull out and wind up fine now but won't turn the flywheel. What do you think the problem is? Is the driveshaft key out of wack?

Thanks

Neal:dunno:

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
First, I bet your dog wasn't happy that you ran over it's toys.

Second, it sounds like the pawl in the recoil start mechanism may not be extending to catch the detents that would turn your flywheel. It may require removing the engine cover and checking out how it is operating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping that it could be that simple: just something that could be reconnected. I will check that out.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Also check your flywheel key, might have partially sheared and causing the no start also.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
check your flywheel key. if this is an older briggs engines(mid 90s or older about), then pull off the three shroud bolts, remove the two screws that hold the flywheel mesh on. you will notice these two screws thread into an aluminum clutch body, pry off the plate on the clutch body, and remove the plate and the square piece. clean out the clutch body with carb cleaner and soak the little metal beads in carb cleaner, dry and apply a LIGHT coating of your favorite oil and reassemble backwards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts