My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman gas trimmer. I noticed leaking when I pulled unit out of storage this spring. I have replaced that fuel lines and the filter. Then I cleaned up the fuel mess around the engine.

I replaced the spark plug. The air filter also replaced.

Now I have a pull cord resistance. One fellow mentioned removing the spark plug and putting in a small amount of trans. oil in and to pull the cord.

The cord does pull. I put back spark plug and I get resistence. I noticied too I took off pieces of the carb and when I pull the plug I hear air flowing through the carb.

What am I seeing? What is the problem? How to fix it?

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
You might take the air filter off and spray a small amount of WD40 or other lubricant inside the intake. As your friend stated, a small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil or 3 in 1 or other light lubricant into the combustion chamber will lube the cylinder walls. My thought on the hard pulling is dry conditions inside both the crankcase and the combustion chamber.

Keep us up to date on your findings and progress.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could it be this? I replaced the spark plug and the air filter while I was changing fuel lines.

I still had the old spark plug and put it in. It still does not start but the pull is not resistant. I checked and the new spark plug is just a bit longer at the bottom.

I also noticed the muffler appears to be full of the leaked fuel. I have removed it and blown it out. I will let it sit overnight to see if it drains.

Roland

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
If the new sparkplug is longer than stock, then that would be the cause of the resistance especially after you said once you reinstalled the old plug, the resistence went away. I would take the sparkplug back and exchange it if you can for the correct size.

I would install a correct size new sparkplug, see if it starts and if it doesn't, clean the carburetor.

It sounds like you are on the right track to getting it cleared out though so it should have a good chance of starting with a new plug assuming the carb is not plugged up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it ----wow the kid at the parts counter tried it again....oh, it's one letter off....it should fit....oh please!

put in the right one and it started right up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one more question

I replaced the fuel filter in the gas tank and the fuel line that comes out. The retainer o=ring is on too. It leaks. Would it be okay to put some seal a gasket on the o ring right where it fits onto the fuel tank in order to eliminate the leak?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Good to hear that did the trick!! Yup, a new & correct sparkplug for that matter can sometimes do wonders.

Honestly, I would replace the o ring before putting gasket sealer on it. Even though it might be just fine and not cause any problems, I would be paranoid that the gasket sealer would eventually get into the fuel system one way the other and cause issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts