My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cub Cadet Zero turn 50". My PTO clutch stops working after a while. If I let it sit for an hour or so, it begins working again. When I turn 180 degrees, the clutch disables momentarily and then starts after I go forward. Its almost like it disables when either lever is placed in the reverse position. Is this normal? Could it be the clutch is overheating from it disengaging and re-engaging frequently. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
A lot of newer machines will not mow in reverse. As far as it not working for periods of time might be another issue. What is your model and serial# from the decal?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: Yeah, almost all newer units have a reverse interlock that kills your blades when you back up. It's possible that overheating could have something to do with the intermittent problem, especially if you do a lot of turning.

·
Ret. Moderator
498 Posts
Are the wires on the clutch free from any obstructions ? Any cuts in the wires down there ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are the wires on the clutch free from any obstructions ? Any cuts in the wires down there ?
A good helpful read.
Yes, I think this is a defect in many newer ZT mowers...They will not cut in reverse...Some have a switch to counter this...
Mine , a Simplicity ZT curs in reverse.., but its old.....
Best, if possible to now the year of manufacture....just like cars///
Another defect is slopply wiring, so, more work to do...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts