My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a troybuilt riding mower with a 50 inch deck with a 23 hp Kohler engine on it. The hydro tramsmission goes in reberse but when I put it in first it grabs when I hold the shifter forward so I am thinking a bad gear. Where can I get gears for the transmission. I know it is a a job cleaning all the grease out and removing the broken pieces in the bottom of the transmission.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Hello Tim,
From what you described, It sounds like you have a manual transmission not a Hydrostatic transmission.

For a Manual Transmission, You can buy gears online and install them yourself or take it to a repair shop and get them to install them for you.

However, If you have a Hydrostatic transmission.. That's a whole other kettle of fish.

-Capstan

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
What is your model number?

I believe some of those still have the variable speed varidrive type mechanical drive with a single speed transmission.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Tim,
From what you described, It sounds like you have a manual transmission not a Hydrostatic transmission.

For a Manual Transmission, You can buy gears online and install them yourself or take it to a repair shop and get them to install them for you.

However, If you have a Hydrostatic transmission.. That's a whole other kettle of fish.

-Capstan
I could do the work myself but some hydro transmissions have to for ward and reverse lever and there is a peddle and the more you push it the faster you go

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is your model number?

I believe some of those still have the variable speed varidrive type mechanical drive with a single speed transmission.
Hi Mark I did not see your post until later I will get the numbers later.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Bet you have the vary drive, acts like a hydro. Easy fix is the secondary belt is stretched!
Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bet you have the vary drive, acts like a hydro. Easy fix is the secondary belt is stretched!
Good luck!
I believe the problem is the transmission because when the tractor is in reverse it is hard to push but when I put the tractor in first I can push it and I hear gears not fully mechishing but when I push the shift lever and hold it it goes in gear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the problem is the transmission because when the tractor is in reverse it is hard to push but when I put the tractor in first I can push it and I hear gears not fully mechishing but when I push the shift lever and hold it it goes in gear.
The model is troybuilt 771.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
get numbers from the frame
I took the transmission apart and found that the piece that the shifter fork fits over was worn where it locks in to the gear. The 2 gears were worn on the side also so I just reversed the 2 gears and installed the shifter slide 180 degrees from original put it back together and it works like a charm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts