My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My craftman Push mower will start but after like 20 sec it dies. I have put fresh oil in the lawn mower and fresh gas. I do not know what is wrong with the lawn mower not wanting to stay runing? Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on with it. Thank You for all of your help in advance:)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Welcome to the site, BigNate! :)

I would confirm the vent hole in the gas cap is not clogged for starters.

When it does die, does it simply just shut off completely or does it start to hesitate almost like it's running out of gas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the site, BigNate! :)

I would confirm the vent hole in the gas cap is not clogged for starters.

When it does die, does it simply just shut off completely or does it start to hesitate almost like it's running out of gas?
Thank You I did check to make sure the gas cap vent hole is not clogged and it is not. When it dies it hesitate like it is runing out of gas.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It sounds like the carburetor maybe a dirty inside. I would pull it off and clean it out.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
What type of engine does it have? If you can provide the model #, I'll see if I can find a microfiche of the carburetor assembly.

In a nutshell, it basically consists of pulling the plastic engine cover off, disconnecting the throttle & governor linkage, removing the fue line, removing the mounting hardware (screws), pulling it off, and either taking it apart manually to clean/soak the inside (the preferred method so that you know that it's actually cleared out) or blowing compressed air through the fuel inlet in an attempt the clear it out.

If it is not something that you've done before (many of us haven't), take a good look at it and see if it's something that you feel comfortable doing before you start taking it apart to save yourself potential headache. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has Briggs and Stratton engine and has 6.75 Horsepower. The model number is 917.377590. Thank You so much for your help.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
If it's possible to provide the model # of the engine, you can find the service manual on Brigg's site, here. Small Engine Manuals | Lawn Mower Manuals | Briggs & Stratton

This manual here may or may not be the one for your engine, you can probably identify if it is by scrolling down the pages and looking at the part such as the muffler, engine cover etc to see if they are familiar. It is listed for a 6.75hp Briggs engine. Pages 4-5 as you will see has diagrams of the carburetor.
http://www.odref.com/briggsandstratton/model-12/122600-ms0998-0603.pdf

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
If you click on "Illustrated Parts List" page three has a break down of the carb and how the engine cover comes off and everything. Customer Support | Briggs & Stratton

Like I mentioned, I would take a look at it and see if you feel comfortable taking apart first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts