My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a pressure washer for the Spring/Summer season. I don't need anything too big or expensive (probably no more than a few hundred dollars), just something to wash my car, patio furniture, grill, etc. I know that most of the big box guys sell them, but I don't want something that's going to break or leak after a few uses.

Do you guys have any suggestions about brands or anything else to look for?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
It depends on the frequency of use. (I'm assuming you're talking about a gas model) If you are going to use it a lot, I would recommend a triplex type pump, as the most durable design. If it will receive only occasional use, an axial cam pump model will do just fine. As for engines, I'm partial to Honda, and they are one of the most common brands used on pressure washers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice. I am not sure if I want to spend the extra money for a gas washer. It looks like I could probably get away with an electric one, and save some money.

I did some searching and found quite a few here: Pressure Washers Direct | High Power Washer Dealer

It looks like Karcher and AR are the most popular. Have you used or heard anything about either of these, or any electric washers?

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I have an 1850 PSI electric a few years ago, and it seems to do the trick for me. I've used it to power wash my deck and privacy fence. Which reminds me, I've got those things to put on my to do list for this spring some time.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I currently own A Kärcher Electric 1200PSI and a "Pacific Hydrostar" 2000PSI Harbor freight Gas powered unit..

Here's what my Low-Down Is..

The Kärcher works a thousand times better than the Pacific Hydrostar for one reason and one reason only.. Flow Rate..

The Kärcher has a much higher GPM Flow rate than the Pacific Hystrostar.. So Even if the Pump itself can put out a lot of psychical pressure, If the flow is low.. It won't clean at all..

-Stan

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I have a Troy bilt gas from Lowes with lawn mower type engine and a Honda Ex-cell powered one. Both are good for normal use. I had a Craftsman electric that was pretty good, just had issue with wand and we decided to return it instead of keeping it. Did not save time like I thought compared to gas units. I would look at the Lowes ones also for normal light use. The guys all gave you good advice!

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I have a gas Troy Bilt from Lowes that my uncle and I have used for house cleaning and other tasks for about 3 years now. Only trouble I have had so far is some bad gas. Cleaned up the carb and solved that one. I suppose it might have 30 hrs or so on it.

http://www.troybilt-gen-pw.com/data/pdf_files/pw/020293_0esw.pdf

Two main things I've heard to extend the life on them is don't let them freeze and keep the pump wet so the seals and valves do not dry out and seize up. Troy built told me to run water through it at least once a month. I have not done that though but rather kept antifreeze/lubricant solution in the pump year round when not using it. So far that has worked ok.

Shop Briggs & Stratton 4-oz Pump Saver at Lowes.com

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
We do the same Mark! So far has done It good!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
You can see ours in background. Should have gotten better pic, forgot. The issue with this one is on shut down ,has some issue with after run! We changed everything except the internal engine parts, still does it! It was in Lowes scrap sale area, so my friend Bob got it cheap and gave it to us! Free is for me!
Point is ,it works real well for cleaning tractors and such, take a look!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I find the models with the Lawn mower type engines are far less likely to freeze then their horizontal variant, As the vertical pump makes it far easier to get all the water out..

I Store my Washers in a heated basement though.. Just in case..

-Stan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts