My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. i just picked up a murry 5.0hp "power select" 22" 2in1 combo mower. it runs fine. the issue is the self-propell feature. if you lift the front wheels and engage transmission,, the wheels spin, but when you put them down.....very little pulling power..? can anyone tell me what would cause this?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
First off, Welcome to MLF! We're glad you stopped by.

OK, now, did you check the belt? it may be worn out or stretched. If its OK, then you may want to check to see if the gearing in the wheels are shot. Its usually part of the whole wheel, which is plastic and can wear out. I'm leaning toward the belt for now..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had the same problem on my Craftsman 22" Power Propelled. Thought it was the belt, put a new belt in and it did the same thing, so I'm leaning toward the wheels/gears now but haven't had time to check them yet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
On a walk behind, generally no, belts are not adjustable. Got to get in the commercial ones for there to be a chance at adjusting the idler pulley.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I can't tell you off the top of my head but I will look into it. Its not going into your SPAM folder is it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i didn't have one.....but i do now! thanks......i'll just have to pull the cover off and inspect it. do you know off-hand if those belts are standard size at the hardware store or are they special order?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
37x100 or 37x100MA might be available at sears in the store if you need it asap otherwise I would go online. It was only $12.50 at sears. Buying a close fit one from anywhere might give you more headache later.

:bag: That's just my opinion though!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok thanks...no , not in a hurry. this mower is for a rental property we just bought and the mowing season is pretty much over here.

hey five points......i'm still not getting email notifications to my posts..? i changed it like you said. posts since then ...nothing in my email? don't know what to make of it.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
ok thanks...no , not in a hurry. this mower is for a rental property we just bought and the mowing season is pretty much over here.

hey five points......i'm still not getting email notifications to my posts..? i changed it like you said. posts since then ...nothing in my email? don't know what to make of it.
I'll have an administrator take a look at it as they can make those changes behind the scenes.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Should be good to go know :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts