My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This mower is the Poulan Pro PB 30 (economy Rider).... It doesnt pull forward like it used to.... I did some leg work and come to find out, no shop's in my area want to touch it ! Something to do with notorious clutch / transmission prob's... I fount the following statement on the net and was wondering if anyone new what the transmission adjustment is about ?

< Like the original Weedeater One, this riding mower is designed for a specific use and the owners who use it for that purpose love it. The mower is designed to mow flat lawns. The transmission is also designed for an average weight rider and no attachments. If you use the mower to mow slopes you will have to have the transmission adjusted as often as every 25 hours. If you pull a yard cart or any other attachment and your weight and the weight of your attachment is over 200 lbs you will experience a sluggish moving riding mower that will eventually stop working.

This need for a regular transmission adjustment is not explained in the sales literature by the manufacture and it is not something an owner can to themselves. You will have to pay for this adjustment.

All three units, The Poulan Pro, Weedeater 2 and Craftsman Smart Rider all use the same transmission and are all affected by this need for regular adjustment.

This is not a safety issue but a performance and customer satisfaction issue. There will be no recall on these riders. >

Thanks,

Phil:dunno:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Boy, if that last sentence doesn't say something about the manufacturer, I don't know what does. To heck with making the customers happy, lets continue building a product that is known to be to weak for probably at least half the American population. I know it wouldn't stand up to my fat behind.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
:ditto:

Well said afoulk... Well Said..

Due to the cheapness of the machine.... The best thing I can say is try and find a machine with a blown engine (Common Issue) With a good trans and swap it over...

Otherwise.. Sell the engine, Tires etc to try and recoup losses and buy another... Maybe a different brand..

Shame about this throw away society..

-Stan

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Looking in the owners manual on page 21 wonder if it has something to do with the friction drive. Maybe there is an adjustment on it. Looks like something that would be susceptible to problems from any oil spray from engine and tranny gaskets as the unit gets some age on it. Here's the manual. (9 MB download)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...LNTdbdQ_STZ1BzA&bvm=bv.50500085,d.aWc&cad=rja
I had no idea it was a friction drive system...

These are far simpler than gear drives...

Give it a good clean with
Owners Manual Quote said:
Household rubbing alcohol or Non-Filming Cleaner.
And see if that helps..

If not.. Try replacing the friction disc.

-Stan

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't take much to cause the friction disc to slip. If it's worn, you're in luck, cause that's a cheap part. It's too bad that the average lawn mower is so poorly designed and constructed.:2cents:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just blows my mind though that a manufacturer would continue to build something a certain way, even though they know its to weak for the way most people will use it.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
It does look a bit like some engineers Rub Goldberg dream. ;) Although Snapper riders used a friction drive system. I don't recall reading a lot of complaints about it. They must have had it a little better perfected to self adjust and work as it worn down and got dirty overtime.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
It does look a bit like some engineers Rub Goldberg dream. ;) Although Snapper riders used a friction drive system. I don't recall reading a lot of complaints about it. They must have had it a little better perfected to self adjust and work as it worn down and got dirty overtime.
The one's on the push mowers were something else... Nothing but issues...

However, Ariens makes a friction drive and it's brilliant.. Never had an issue with mine, And I've never heard of any issue with them..

-Stan

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe Snapper rear engine riders use a friction disc drive and I haven't seen any complaints. Most snowblowers use that kind of drive system also. I struggled with my old snowblower for a winter after the drive began slipping, but it woks great after I replaced the rubber wheel (it's an Ariens type). I would suggest replacing the rubber wheel, cleaning the disc and adjusting it for maximum pressure, maybe putting in a stronger spring. (That's why so many people now drive SUVs because cars can't fit or haul their fat asses.)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
This explains why I found one for sale recently! Seemed too cheap for its age. Shame how a company would not stand behind the product. Sorry to hear of your issues! I would look for a Snapper with blown engine and use yours!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts