My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I tend to completely tear it down and do a full soak, blast it all clean with compressed air and reassemble with all new seals and gaskets when possible. I figure if I have it off, I might as well do the whole thing unless it was just a small issue with a piece of debris rather than the ethanol sludge bath.
What do you do?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
My methods are similar to Bruce's. Unless I need the machine back in service pronto, I'll soak the torn down carb/parts for at least a day. Preferably, three or more. I tend to be real particular with my work area when I rebuild. Neat, clean, organized and well lit. I also have one of those fold down, lighted, pair of magnifying glasses. You see jewelers wear them. Great for checking if passageways are clear, etc.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Whenever I have to clean one that comes into the shop at school, I'll use some Carquest spray carb cleaner thats actually pretty good stuff. Take it all apart, make sure the needle/seat is clean, make sure the jets are clean, basically spray the whole thing down inside and out. Hasn't failed me yet. I'm gonna keep watching this thread however because I feel as if my ATV will require more..persuasion. And force.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do a complete tear down...aerosol cleaner just gets in your eye and skin...I soak the carb in the GOOD carb dip for a few hours depending on the extent of corrosion.... remove parts from dip and wash with fresh water then compressed air to dry....by the way..if you want a ******* ultrasonic cleaner...just wrap a neck massager around your 1 gallon can of GOOD (stress GOOD) carb dip..... a few carbs that were real bad... I made them soak in HOT water and Vinegar and Simple Green to get rid of that organic stuff (sugar/soy bean/corn)...

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Dad is like Kori, he usually only replaces bad gaskets. He cleans them good and puts them back together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts