My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be needing a new mower either this fall or next spring. I would like to hear suggestions for a new one.

I currently am using a Snapper produced John Deere JS45 I bought brand new. It is nice, but it builds up a LOT of grass under the deck. It has had other issues that are minor, but it is being retired to camp.

I want something self propelled, rear wheel drive. It will mostly mulch. Suggest any brand. 20 to 22 inch is the desired cut.

I would also think about electric, but I don't know much about electric push mowers.

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
Ditto on what has been suggested so far. Maybe another John Deere, providing they offer a good design with the features you are looking for. I would definitely suggest a mower shop over a big box store for your purchase as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Toro Super Recycler (don't get one of the Home Depot or Lowe's Toro's, go to a mower shop or order from a good dealer online). Aluminum deck, kickers (to help with the mulching), etc. It is supposed to be quite the nice mower. If I would not have found the Lawn Boy I was looking for, I would have gotten that instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Toro Super Recycler (don't get one of the Home Depot or Lowe's Toro's, go to a mower shop or order from a good dealer online). Aluminum deck, kickers (to help with the mulching), etc. It is supposed to be quite the nice mower. If I would not have found the Lawn Boy I was looking for, I would have gotten that instead.
+1 on the super recycler. Great for mowing small areas like the side yard I have. I found out about it through a landscaping forum and love it! Check out this pic of the blade and underside design:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Updated with what I got

Well, I was headed to camp this weekend, so.........I wanted to take the self propelled Deere to camp, so................. I got a Toro.

Thanks to everyone who answered, especially baron and ClayKann. I had a deluxe Toro many years ago, electric start, aluminum deck etc. When it came time to replace it, nothing from Toro looked good.
The Super Recycler is great. Good price and nice features.

Here is a look at it.

Here it is wearing the bagger

Here it is with the side discharge

Here is the opposite side

Gotta love the cleaning hole. We'll see how it works.

Guaranteed to start on the first or second pull for five years!

Now all I need to do is wax the under deck, upper deck, cowling and armor all everything else.

Don't feel too bad for the John Deere. Camp is on the lake with a terrific view. The lawn is all flat. Retirement will be nice. (For both of us)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Awesome, good choice! Like I said, if I didn't find a LB, that was my next choice. In some ways, it was my first choice, but at about 3 times what I paid for the LB, I'm happy with what I did. In a few years though, I might revisit and go with the Toro SR. I really love how they have the wash out port and I have heard nothing but good things on the mulching performance. Just like Brad said, let us know how it works!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My results

I was able to wax and armor all this afternoon. It started on the second pull.
After about 10 minutes of new mower smell, things settled in well.

Here is what the lawn looked like before I started

Here is what it looked like after

Before you say it, I will. I do not use chemicals or fertilizer. All I really do is pull the dandelions out by hand in the spring. Anyways, I liked the job it did.

It made very small pieces of grass. I photographed the bottom of the deck that I waxed about half way through cutting the lawn here

Then I finished the lawn. I tried out the deck washer. I would have to say it worked pretty well. Obviously not so well behind the opening.

The nozzle is at about the seven o'clock position on the deck. I brushed it off for the next pic

Next, I photographed the grass that blew onto the deck. It was all in very small pieces.

All in all, I am glad I got this mower. It was very quiet, compared to the John Deere JS45 it replaced and others before it. The personal pace was very nice. It stayed with me and was not difficult to pull the mower back when needed.

I am used to the zero turn ability of the JS45 and I like it. It took about 3/4 of the lawn job before the old ways came back to me. The mower had plenty of power for all heights of grass. The deck cleaning feature seamed to work very well. I used my compressor to blow the top free of grass and I blew the grass off the underneath of the rear part of the deck easily as it was still wet.

I love the aluminum deck.

I have had many premium mowers. Some were premium mostly in price, while others were premium in performance as well. This mower is all I expected. There is no disappointment. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
Excellent synopsis of your new machine! Thank-you for taking the time to take photos, post, and share your findings. This is what this forum is all about. Some new folks will get some real good info from your post. Very nice job! (And the lawn looks great, too!):)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brad
I was at camp until today, taking a break. I was gonna take a pic of my deere's new retirement area, but there was only one day with sun. Just enough so I could mow in the afternoon after everything dried out enough. Every other day was mostly rain. 2 inches on Sunday!

I just wanted to say thanks for the kind words. That's why I like this forum. Nice folks giving their advice. It really did help me get great ideas leading up to a great new mower.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dave, in case you haven't figured this out already, here's a tip for best performance of the washout port: Set the cutting height to its lowest position (A) before attaching the hose. I do this every time I mow and it works great.

You'll enjoy this mower. I've had mine for thirteen months and haven't experienced any problems.

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
I like my Toro super recycler with the aluminum deck and PP drive. It's almost 10 years old now. It has the old style bag connector and no side discharge or washout port option. The variable drive takes a little getting used to and seems to be a like or hate deal for some people. But I like it. I am surprised though how long the OE drive belt has lasted considering it slips all the time unless your going at full speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
About New rear propelled mowers - John Deere variable speed models are a joke - the speed variable is a slipomatic, all you are doing is loosening the belt - piece of junk. Toro's easy glide system really is a joke to use on ditch slopes, as was the LB. Not sure of what we can have as a quality, rear propelled mower(which is needed on slopes) outside of the $800 to $1000 JD models - a little too pricey.

I personally like the old style LB with the self propelled lever which goes all the way across the handle. Too bad they have discontinued this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts