My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, My father just passed away and I went up to my moms to help with the yard, I have been doing this for a few weeks and using my late fathers 74412 Toro Pro. It's been running great, but last time I was there I wasn't paying attention and I put Regular Motor Oil in the Oil Resovior for the Hydro Fluid Reservoir. I just put maybe 1/4 quart in there.

But then after running it for a few minutes it starting making a lot Metal on Metal noise, and now the Blades WILL NO ENGAGE. Is it just by chance, or did I screw it up?

Should I drain the hydro fluid , change the filter. and add fresh?

Is it possible by doing this it would STOP the blades from engaging?

Thanks for your help...

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Are you saying you put engine oil in the "Hydro Gear " tranny reservoir? just for clarification?

By the way, Welcome to MLF!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Welcome!

I would try what you suggested. Hopefully it is not siezed although I would prepare myself for the worst.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
15w-50 motor oil is what appears to be used in you hydraulics (Hydro Transmission)

Your tranny is not part of the blades. Your blades engage from an electric clutch. Your blades will be a separate issue. If you have a problem going forward or backwards, that would be a tranny contamination issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
15w-50 motor oil is what appears to be used in you hydraulics (Hydro Transmission)

Your tranny is not part of the blades. Your blades engage from an electric clutch. Your blades will be a separate issue. If you have a problem going forward or backwards, that would be a tranny contamination issue.
Thats what I was thinking, There is NO problem moving around on the tractor, just this load metal noise, then when I engage the blades I get nothing..

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I would take a look under your unit and make sure your electric clutch didn't come loose or check to see if it seized up. You may want to check all your belts and pulleys to make sure one did not come off or an idler pulley seized up. Also check your deck spindles to make sure you did not have one fail on you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I'm here is a update and I'm hopeful you can help. The blades move freely without issue when rotating by hand, The belts are fine.. However, they won't engage.. The pulley under the engine that seems to drive the blades has a wire hanging from it, here is a couple pictures..

Any help would be appreciated..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
That is your electric clutch. When you pull or push your pto switch that is what engages the belt to the mower deck.

Did you find it unplugged with the wire rapped around the pulley?

Does the whole assembly turn on its own?
The portion of the clutch that has the wire coming out of it should not turn but have a bracket or tab that sticks out and comes in contact with a bolt or bracket that is attached to the frame above it to keep that portion of the clutch from turning when engaged.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts