My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first post on this new forum. I bought a brand new HHR216PKC at the end of last season. Used it several times before the snow came, put it in storage and took it out today. Changed the oil, checked the plug, tried to start it, pulls but no fire. I tried several times, thought it may have flooded. Auto choke worked fine last year, any ideas? And yes still under warranty.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
High tiner, it sounds like it may be a fuel issue.

Did you by chance drain or run the gas out of it prior to storing it last year?

If not, there is a strong possibility that the fuel may have partially gummed up inside the carb which is now preventing it from starting.

If you feel inclined, you could remove the carb, clean the float bowl and blow it out to see if that does the trick before taking it to a shop.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
pour a tablespoon of FRESH gas down the intake. if it trys to run off that, drain the carb bowl and add fresh fuel, just loosen the 10mm bowl nut

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always run high octane fuel with seafoam, my snowblower gets the same fuel, and I leave it in that. It's also a Honda.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tinter,

I'm new here as well. I didn't see anyone mention this yet but...high octane gas, as I understand it, is not necessary with most non-racing applications such as ours. I don't know the exact compression ratio for your model engine but my GXV390 is 7 something to 1 which won't call for higher than 86 or 87 octane. 87 is the lowest rating readily available around here & that's what I use. However the amount of ethanol in your particular brand of fuel is something noteworthy. If I'm not mistaken, I think a maximum of 10% is Honda recommendation. When you get north of 10.5:1 compression ratio, one should be looking for something higher in octane rating than "pump" gas.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tinter,

I'm new here as well. I didn't see anyone mention this yet but...high octane gas, as I understand it, is not necessary with most non-racing applications such as ours. I don't know the exact compression ratio for your model engine but my GXV390 is 7 something to 1 which won't call for higher than 86 or 87 octane. 87 is the lowest rating readily available around here & that's what I use. However the amount of ethanol in your particular brand of fuel is something noteworthy. If I'm not mistaken, I think a maximum of 10% is Honda recommendation. When you get north of 10.5:1 compression ratio, one should be looking for something higher in octane rating than "pump" gas.

Just a thought.
I'm one of those idiots that if I do something, I over do something. For the few cents more for premium fuel, I just run it. I also got the mower running today. Checked the spark and fuel, then drained the carb bowl. Put in fresh gas 2 pulls and it fired right up. Thanks for the help and ideas everyone.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I'm one of those idiots that if I do something, I over do something. For the few cents more for premium fuel, I just run it. I also got the mower running today. Checked the spark and fuel, then drained the carb bowl. Put in fresh gas 2 pulls and it fired right up. Thanks for the help and ideas everyone.
Thanks for the update! Good deal and glad to hear it was something easy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I understand about over-doing stuff. I tend to follow that route myself a lot of times. Glad you got it straightened out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a side note, I phoned the dealer that I bought the machine from to let them know what was going on. They are over 1.5 hours away, (don't like my local Honda dealer, that's a story for another beer) they couldn't have been better. Offered to come down to pick it up, no questions asked. Great after sale service, I just have to call them today and let them know they don't get to go for a drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts