My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Donnie, Rick and myself worked the wreck today. It was at our local airport. one person on board ,the pilot is in stable conditin today.
It is so broke up and flimsy it was a challenge. We got it from the field to a hanger in 3.5 hours.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wow, I hope the pilot has a full recovery.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Geeze, Don -

You sure have a varied and diversified customer base. :2cents:

Just think, it could have been so much worse.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You guys know how to have fun with your wreckers Don! Wow, twin engines no less.... Hope the guy recovers, looks like he survived a rough landing!

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The man is 67 year old, he was critical last night , so he is improving. I gather that he took off from the airport and had problem and tried to swing right back, but he was off the strip about 50 yards. I don't ask questions at these kind of scenes, a unspoken rule!
To bad it happened but it was interesting working with the official's involved.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Thank God he survived! Don you have towed/hauled about everything now!

Reactions: DrBailey

·
Banned
84 Posts
those things are built to be as light as possible. Light weight = more payload and gas savings. Now when we get into commercial aircraft, it's a bit different. That man was lucky to survive that. Though if a plane crash took my life I would have died doing something I loved, flying.

Any word on what happened? I'm guessing bad fuel and or engine failure.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
those things are built to be as light as possible. Light weight = more payload and gas savings. Now when we get into commercial aircraft, it's a bit different. That man was lucky to survive that. Though if a plane crash took my life I would have died doing something I loved, flying.

Any word on what happened? I'm guessing bad fuel and or engine failure.
Crazy, scarey light weight alum. Darn sure not made to belly flop!! in a field. final story came down to this, this 68 year old man was a dope dealer and transporter. He lost his plane because of his bussiness venture, while serving time in the gray bar motel he managed to purchase his plane back. after his release, he went to retrieve his nice twin engine plane. The air port advised him not to take off in the plane until inspections were completed (because of setting there for two years) nope like a dope head he took off, got off the ground, engine shut down,failure! he tried a hard right turn, didnt come around to the landing strip, belly flopped in a field first. It was like dropping a china plate on concrete. And yes sir, you know your stuff, I don't know all the particulars, but water for sure, LOTS of it. RyGuy, I don't fly at controls, but I love going up with friends when I can Thanks for the comments.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Well, that's a strange story for sure. It just show you what that stuff will do to your ability to make sound judgment calls.:2cents: :(

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
X3!! Would never attempt that with something sitting that long?!?

·
Banned
84 Posts
water in the fuel will do that :) Sitting for 2 years will allow a good amount of moisture to accumulate in the fuel tanks. Not to mention even if he topped the tanks off, there would still have been enough bad fuel in there to cause major problems. Adding Stabil wouldn't have worked for av-fuel. (Aviation fuel) :D :D :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts