My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
There are a lot of options, so I would check out what you like of these options and others on youtube or maybe in person first:

- 1960's International Cub Cadet (gear drive and medium speed)
- 1960's WheelHorse tractors (belt drive and fast)
- 1960's Sears Surburban (belt drive and medium speed)
- Copar Panzers a little on the rare side, but lots of fun
- 1970's or 1980's Jim Dandy Economy tractors
- 1940's and 1950's Gibson tractors (had big wisconsin engines on them)
- 1950's Windolph tractor/dozers
- 1960's Struck/Magnatrax dozers
- 1970's YR series Yazoo's
- 1960's Bantams (very small but cool)
- 1970's Allis Chalmers tractors (commonly rebranded as case and John Deere)
- 1950's Jaques Power Saw Mighty Mite's - very cool machine but seem to be as rare as the dinosaurs these days,

I am sure you will find a ton of other options, some are similar, and some are really out there!

If you want a 2 wheel walk behind tractor, some names are:
Standard Twin, Walsh, David Bradley, McLean, Cunningham, and the list goes on and on,

Chris

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you are specifically speaking of "Riding Mowers" such as strictly a grass cutter, don't forget the old Snappers too.
I prefer garden tractors (more power, more implements, bigger engines) but there are some really nice old lawn tractors out there. Even if not "nice", they are really interesting, and you can have something not seen everyday.

Something like these little guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking for specifically am looking for a riding mower and something unique that you really don't see everyday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are some riding mowers that you don't see everyday but can still get parts for if you have to?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Again, just my two cents but if its rare parts are rare such as body panels, drivetrain parts etc...

BUT..... Snapper comes to mind. There are enough of them out there for parts, but a lot of them are still in use also. Not everyone has one and kind of neat looking but still depends on what needs to be done to it to get it restored and how many were made vs. how many are still being used.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On Craigs List...zero-turn riding mowers...
a Remote-a-Matic , $200 , looks like a golf cart, has a two passenger seat.
two Dixon, one sold quickly, the other a 502 from the early 90s, interesting engineering.
A man must love those old ancient riding lawn mowers....to progress, man must sometimes regress, in order to learn and appreciate.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Again, just my two cents but if its rare parts are rare such as body panels, drivetrain parts etc...

BUT..... Snapper comes to mind. There are enough of them out there for parts, but a lot of them are still in use also. Not everyone has one and kind of neat looking but still depends on what needs to be done to it to get it restored and how many were made vs. how many are still being used.
The Snapper RERs (Early series 1-6) and Comets are still somewhat plentiful. I still see quit a bit of them although many have been re-powered over the years. This was a haul where I picked everything up for @$20 a piece.

Another neat looking old lawn tractor is the late 60's early 70s Massey Fergusons. They look just like the full sized tractors. This is my MF12G that I inherited from a guy who needed to find a new home for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts