My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a photo of my dad mowing with the 1968 Toro Whirlwind 19" model 18213 that we had. Note the green grass deflector. When we had gone to get a new one at the local Toro dealer, that's what he had in stock. I have recently learned that Toro and John Deere had an arrangement at the time and the green ones were actually made for the JD models but were identical in design. I was about 11 years old or so at the time and had climbed a tree to take the photo. :D

This is a photo of our machines, circa 1978. From left to right are: 1975 Roto-Hoe 5HP tiller, 1960s Western Auto 'Wizard' 22" push mower with 3HP B&S engine, 1975 Toro Whirlwind 21" push mower with 3.5HP B&S engine, and the 1968 Toro.

This last photo is circa 1981 and shows the 3 19" Toros we had at that time. The 1968, 1979, and 1980. The 1975 21" had been traded in on the 1980 19". I am currently negotiating with a seller to purchase a 1975 19" like my dad would have bought at the time if the dealer had not been sold out and he had to settle for the 21".

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Those are some really nice pics you have there. You should replicate the line up photo with your own and do a double take. Thank you for sharing those with us. :cool

Bruce

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are some really nice pics you have there. You should replicate the line up photo with your own and do a double take. Thank you for sharing those with us. :cool

Bruce
Great idea! Sometime in the next couple of weeks I will do just that. In the meantime, here are a few pics of the 1970 18215 with the shroud borrowed from the 20555. The shroud from the key-lectric model works okay, but this looks more correct. :D There is a lot of similarity to the 18213. Someday, I hope to find at least one of those green grass deflectors.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Those are some neat pictures!

I always really enjoy looking at photos back in the day like this. It shows what the people looked like that used them and how the machines themselves looked like when they were new. It's kind of interesting to compare those differences to today you could say.

You should hang those up on the wall where you keep the mowers in your garage! ;)

Thanks posting them!

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Great pictures! :cool

I wished I would have taken pix of some of the mowers I pushed around when I was a youngin' ... Too soon old, too late smart. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts