My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. First of all let me say that I am by no means am I an excellent mechanic but I love trying to repair things myself and restoreing. Sometimes I get lucky and get it running and sometimes no so much....lol.. At present ime I'm dealing with my dads' John Deere LA105 rideing mower..He was on it a few weeks ago and it locked up on him. I'm referring to the transaxil..Lawnmower itself runs like a top. My dad really didn't give me any details on what happned when t locked up...He's 88 and can't get a very plain picture f anything outta him.. t's a 5 speed transmssion and can be rolled around freely but that's about it...If anyone has any ideas (in lamen terms) on what the problem might be I sure would appreciate it....Pete

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum Pete. When he said locked up, could he mean the engine seized up? If it rolls around freely, the transaxle might be fine. Maybe it's just the belt that broke?
I'm sure some other members will throw a few other ideas in the hat as well.
Welcome aboard :2th:

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Welcome Pete! Maybe the pulley on the transaxle is spinning on the shaft? Maybe one of the wheels are spinning freely on the axle? Unless it starts to stall the engine when you put it in gear and let out the clutch I would be surprised to hear the transmission is actually locked internal. You really don't hear of much problems with the gear drives along that line. More common is the jumping out of gear problems with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Transmission in LA 105

THanks for the advice guys... Belts not broken.. The best won't spin. YOu can smell the belt burning... I tryed to reah under here to turn the axil pully and I can't get it to turn... Could it be something in the wireing that got pulled ouy?....I DON"T KNOW!!!:dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hi Pete, here is link to JD parts cutaway of the transaxle.
John Deere - Parts Catalog

I have had two transaxles froze from rust/water inside them. By sounds of it, the main trans pulley is frozen somehow? I would first check for anything that may be locking belt in place, take belt off and try to turn all the pulleys, idler pulleys, etc!
Then turn transaxle pulley, this way you can find where to start looking! Worse case is you need to find a new transaxle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I'll look into that. I don't know what the old man was doing OR did when the thing locked up. He's 88 and can't get much out of him and if I do it's a good chance it'll be a lie.I guess from pride that he won't admit that he's tearing up things...:dunno:. But thanks again and 'll keep digging until I figure it out... If I do need to get another transaxil where would be a good place to get one....(Price wise)....Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys... Here'sthe latest info I have on L105 transaxil problem. I asked my dad what he was doing whenthe problem occured...He said it stoped rolling and started smokeing.. The smoke is coming from the belt from the engine shft pully.. Its spinning freely.. The belt is not..I picked the back up and turn both rear wheels in neutral. I can grab the transaxil pully with a small pipe wrench and turn it but it's pretty tight.. Its hard to turn reguardless of wheather it's in neutral or in a gear....What should I do next?...Drop the transaxil?. Like i said I'm just a wanna be "fixit myself" guy so if anyone can give me a tep by step plan, please keep in my of my ignorance.lol.... Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts