My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figure I would join in on the fun here!! Here is my entry to the project contest.

Problem; New above ground pool put up, and wife whats a deck around it..

How to fix said problem??? Build deck. :D

OK.. so I will start out saying that I tend to do these projects alone. I normaly have little, or no help, and I enjoy thinking of ways to work around the fact that Im doing it myself. That may take extra steps, or the building of tools,jigs, or other holding fixtures.

I started out drawing the plans. I peiced together diferent ideas that I found online, and came up with this... The deck is built on pear blocks, so the first order of busniess was to layout the outline of the deck with string. Once that was done, I could layout the block. The wife helpped with the strings. A pool deck can be tough, becouse there is nothing squire to level off of!!! Next the blocks were leveled, and posts fitted. At this point it got tough.... I had to install, and level the main beams. Took a little thinking to get the finished deck level with the top of the pool. But in the end, it was spot on! :) Install the long, heavy beams were done with many clamps, temp screws, and braces... but I got it done, and level. the next step was the joists. That went pretty fast. the first one was tough. Took a little juggling of the beams to get it all lined up where I wanted it. Once that was on, and a few others, it went fast, and the structure firmed right up. I did have a little help... my two girls wanted to help... so they cralwed under the frame work to get all the nails/screws I dropped. :D After the joists were done I decided I wanted the deck to wrap around the rounded end of the pool a little. that took a little creative framing, but I belive it came out great!!

Last for this post was the deck started going on!!!!!! NOW its looking like something!!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The decking was pretty easy. Just took a lot of time. I added the posts as I decked. A little extra work cutting out the decking, and some extra supports, but went smooth.... When I got to where the stirs go, I added a few cross braces to tie the stirs into a few extra joists. [stirs in the last pic are just temp]

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty much done!!!!

Most of the railings up. I cut the joists so that I would have a full width deck board at the end, after I added the facia board. THAT one was a pain to install myself!!!! It was heavy, and tough to line up right! But I got it. Took some extra bracing to make the end posts nice and solid. I tryed to tie each post into at least two framing members. After that, the last of the decking was closed in, and the rest of the railings went up. I designed the railing to be easy/fast to install, but still look nice. I think I did pretty well. Stirs are built and installed also.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well now shes all done, and has gotten used for its first summer!! It has worked awesome, and everyone enjoyed it. When it was done, the building inspector came to approve it, and it passed with flying colors!! Said that he wished everyone build stuff that well. So that made me feel good. :)

[OK its not TOTALY done, but are any projects ever? :D I have a few caps to put on top of the rails. ]

So thats it. I hope you liked my project.

Attachments

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
Now that is a nice deck, Paul! I'll bet your family will really enjoy this project for years to come. I have a lot of admiration for someone that can put together an idea and have it turn out this good. When it comes to projects like this, I make a great helper, but I am not by any means handy enough to complete it alone. Nice job, thanks a lot for your entry, and good luck in the contest!

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Excellent work Paul!

I always thought a pool or a fish pond with a curve shape must be a real bare to match up with decking. But you made it really look neat! Thanks for entering the contest! :)

Now if I ever get my fish pond and water fountain built I will know who to call for help if I want a deck around it. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Man, that turned out great!

Sure does spruce up the lonely pool...and what a nice addition to the comfort level. I really like the idea of being able to look down, into the pool versus sitting next to one (above ground) and not actually seeing how guests (kids) are doing.

Thanks for the step by step process! Clearly obvious of "How-To" and an excellent contribution in the contest..:D

Mark

·
1,329 Posts
Really nice job Paul, I know there is a lot of work involved in a pool and deck. It looks very good!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice plan. I like the huricane clamps you nailed to the joists too. I used them on mine too. Very nice looking and will provide you and the family years of fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts