My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I'm kinda mad now.

My g/f wants me to be part of her sons life and provide a father figure, but yet if I try to discipline or punish him she gets all mad.

What the heck should I do, should I just bow out and say ok fine you do want you want, and keep my mouth shut or what??

Thanks!!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
State how you feel, where you're coming from and ask what she would like to see.

Mention that to you acting as his father figure includes discipline and see what she says and go from there. :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Tough situation for sure, and not necessarily one that guys in your place find themselves in. Lots of married folks who are the natural parents find they have widely different ideas when it comes to such things, and confusion sets in for everybody, mom, dad and the kids.

I'd agree with Austen on this one. Only way to know is to have a serious heart to heart with the girlfriend, when both of you are calm and there's no anger involved, and see where head is on the matter, then come to an agreement you all can live with. Once the two adults work it out, the child needs to know where he stands as well, in other words, he knows that this has mom's support, so as not to create a situation where he is working one against the other.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I feel for you, and in fact my oldest friend is in the exact same scenario. I would have to agree with Austen and Bruce. I think it's key to honestly discuss the situation at a calm time that's "away" from the issue. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I don't personally know what you are going through, but must be real hard! A mother says one thing, but then the protection part must come out! Sorry my friend! God willing you both will figure out how/what to do!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts