My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning! Not for the faint of heart!

No matter how careful you are, crap happens,

I was trying to loosen a rod bolt on this Briggs when the bolt freed up and the side of my thumb slid up the edge of the RAZOR SHARP key way literally removing a layer of flesh and 1/4 of my thumb nail. Natural reaction was to put everything back together so in the picture you can see the piece of me laying on top of the injury, I'm sure it will fall off. :(
This is the edge of the crank with the key way that bit me.

Just a reminder to always be careful no matter how simple the task. :)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
OOOUCCHH!! :(

I'm sorry to hear and see that. I would go to the doctor to have it checked out, or at least get it wrapped!

Man, I hate when that kind of thing happens. I have to admit, I can be feeble when it comes to pain.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
That hurts to look at it.:( Better get that looked at FP. Like Austen said though, I think we've all done something like it.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
My right pointer finger got in a fight with the bench grinder once

·
1,329 Posts
And it happens so darn fast! no time to back off.
sorry that happened, keep it well covered when you are in your shop, a bump might make you want to go to the lillte boys room.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I'm all doctored up for now. I'm sure it'll hurt like heck tomorrow being it's still numb right now.

BTW, I finished getting the engine taken apart.. :ThumbUp: Now I look like this smiley walking around the house with my thumb in the air. :sidelaugh

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
:eek: Just keep an eye on it for infection especially if it starts to swell down your thumb toward your hand. Never know what microscopic creepy crawlies are living on that shaft.

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
Oh, man, that doesn't look good. As I get older my awareness seems to work faster than my nervous system. I'll do something like that, look at the results, and think, "This is really gonna hurt!", and sure enough, about that time, it hits!

Take care of it and be careful as Mark says,.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The Way I keep my fingers Unharmed and Smell Free, I have a pair of "Mechanix" Gloves and I wear a pair of Surgical gloves underneath, call me overly Protective but I'm only 15 and I would like to keep all My digits intact.

-Stan

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
OUCH! I have done alot of that in my years of working on Cars/tractors! I am good at hurting myself! Keep it clean and try not to hit it!
God bless!
Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts