My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought it might be fun to post pictures of ordinary cars that you no longer see on the road. The word "collectible" is defined by the beholder in many cases but for our sake, let's try and stay away from vehicles that are considered "collectible" in today's collector car market.

You can also add your own little statement or factoid about why they are no longer on the road too.

I'll start out.

Dodge Shadow

When was the last time you actually saw one of these on the road?? That's because the only ones left are survivors that were never driven and have less than 50K miles. They even made these in a convertible version. These cars, and other Chrysler products at the time such as the LeBaron & Caravans, were absolutely notorious for blowing head gaskets, transmissions, and having severe oil burning problems (the 3.0L Mitsu & 3.3L V6's in particular being the main victims to that- it was absolutely unbelievable how bad those engines could burn oil) including a tirade of other quality control issues. These cars were just not meant to go the distance no matter how you looked at it and did nothing at all to improve Chrysler's reputation in terms of quality standards.

I remember a friend's family Grand Caravan in the early 90s (the van itself was either a late 80s or early 90s) had gone through 3 transmissions in only a couple of years time after it was purchased new. Three transmissions! My family couldn't stay further away from them and it seemed like at the time, despite how popular these vans were, a family was lucky if they'd only gone through two transmissions... that is if the engine rings hadn't already prematurely worn and began consuming MASSIVE amounts of oil. Ever smell the stench of a 3.0L Chrysler (Mitsubishi made) V6 burning oil?? There's nothing like it and I can still smell it today- makes you want to throw up immediately. It's one of the worst scents in the world and is specific to that engine alone. I make such a big deal out of it because I kid you not that it is that bad; you'll know exactly what I mean if you ever have as no other engine produces that same brain cell killing stench.

Ford Aerostar

How many mom's do you see pulling up to the local elementary in a Ford Aerostar anymore? Maybe it's because the 90s styling would make their kids rather walk to school than be caught riding in the comfort of an Aerostar or the fact they were prone to catching on fire. I remember my grandpa, "Pops", having these on his car lot and he'd always carry a fire extinguisher with him when he'd drive them, "just in case."

Subaru Brat

Okay, now this one is probably considerable collectible by some but really..... how often do you actually see a restored BRAT? Maybe they died off because of the fact you couldn't haul any more of a payload than you could in a regular car's trunk where it'd actually be kept DRY or the fact that it is now illegal to ride anybody in seats of a bed anymore. Besides, who the heck wants to tell their friends they have a "BRAT" anyway? It's not my child, Billy, I promise...

Chevrolet Chevette

The Chevrolet Chevette. Ugh. Blah. Humbug. The Chevette belongs in the same definition for the word "depressing" in the dictionary. I don't care what decade it is, but I can't EVER see a Chevette becoming collectible. Is there ANYTHING even somewhat amusing about a Chevette other than the fact that at a quick glance the name almost appears to spell "Corvette" on paper? I remember seeing these as a kid and thinking they were one of the most depressing looking cars I've ever seen. Fortunately, I can't think of a time in my life that I've ever had the displeasure to ride in one of these. Nothing on them looks even 1% optimistic. If there are any more Chevettes, they are all parked in trailer parks rotting away next to a double wide with an extra tall cable antenna on top covered in moss. Extra points for missing hubcaps and interiors filled with cigarette butts, or, found outside a rundown smoke shop/liquor store if you happen to find one still "on the road."

·
Registered
650 Posts
I still drive one that you don't see many of anymore and that would be a ford tempo I just cant part with this car, it has been the most trouble free,reliable car I have ever owned, no hot rod buy any means but will get you to where ever you need to go and back.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Ford Maverick
Just saw a nice clean one the other day with a for sale sign in the window. Boy, that brought back memories. My cousin had one back in the early 70s and my dad had one of Mercury's version, the Comet around the mid 70s after the government mandated those 5 mph bumpers that stuck out like a park bench.

The Ford Pinto
Remember the exploding gas tanks when they got rear ended? Still, I kind of wanted one of the station wagon versions with the wood grain sides.

The Chevy Vega
Hurry and get your use out of it before it rusted out from under you. But, they were better looking than the Pinto.

The Chevy Citation
These torque steer beauties, and GM's other X body variants, were every grandmother's dream car.

Guess I'm kind of dating myself, aren't I.

·
Registered
650 Posts
that was my 1st new car when I graduated high school a chevy vega...not one of GM's best....I know what you mean buy rusting

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Dad had a 1971 Maverick Grabber! It was a cheap mans Mustang! Three speed stick and 302. I remember the car! My uncle bought a red one so they were twins!

Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The Chevy Citation
These torque steer beauties, and GM's other X body variants, were every grandmother's dream car.
Ahh yes, a great choice for this thread. I do remember those and no you never, ever, see them anymore. The styling was very similar at the time to the Dodge Horizon/Omin which was very similar. Those cars, BTW, had a uniquely styled steering wheel. I road a few those and always thought the steering wheel was interesting. Here's pic just because.

Chevrolet APV Lumina Van

Okay, so when was the last time you saw an early APV Lumina van on the road? I'm talking about the van and not the dustbuster they were styled after. They must have all been crushed because they weren't rust prone thanks to plastic body panels and a galvanized steel space frame. Possibly one of the top 10 ugliest vehicles ever built.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Those Vegas had issues. I think they were made with aluminum blocks that did not hold up. Now if you had one with a V8 in it you were hot stuff.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
.. Still, I kind of wanted one of the station wagon versions with the wood grain sides.

I remember my parents thought they wanted one too until they test drove one. Had an automatic and made even our 100hp straight 6 1973 Omega seem peppy. I think that was when they ended up either getting the 74 Cuttless or the 77 Delta 88. Those two both had 350 with 4 barrel carbs and got better mileage then the 6 banger so dad was happy again. :2th:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Those Vegas had issues. I think they were made with aluminum blocks that did not hold up. Now if you had one with a V8 in it you were hot stuff.
your right about the vega engines , aluminum block which did not hold up ...the one I had ended up with 2 replacement engines all replaced by GM If I remember right you could get like 30 thousand miles or so before the smoke was so bad no one could see driving behind you .when I pulled into a gas station I usually filled up the oil and checked the gas..i do remember a few locally that had a v-8 stuffed under the hood

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I found some local TV channels that show old shows like "ChiPS" and "The A-Team". I love them as I was kid watching them! We get a kick out of seeing the old cars sometimes nice ones getting flipped over all the time!

Reactions: wh55 and bwdbrn1

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
"I pity the fool" who didn't like the A-Team. Mr. T's van was a classic for the time. I wonder where it is today?

I always wondered how Ponch got into that uniform of his. It had to have been sprayed on.

The first police bike I rode was one of those Kawis. Darn thing was hot, leaked oil all over the inside of your boots, it was geared too low, and the faring rattled so much you couldn't hear yourself think, but golly, it did handle nice in slow manuevers. The city garage got mad at me because I wore the stops off of the underside of the floor boards.:2th:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ford Aerostar
Hah, my brother still has one of those! We had three when I was growing up...a blue one, followed by a set of twins: one white and one green. The green one still survives, but the tranny is screwy. You shift into a gear, and it takes about 5 - 10 seconds before it kicks in.

Surprised it has not been sent to the junkyard yet...

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Okay, so when was the last time you saw an early APV Lumina van on the road? I'm talking about the van and not the dustbuster they were styled after. They must have all been crushed because they weren't rust prone thanks to plastic body panels and a galvanized steel space frame. Possibly one of the top 10 ugliest vehicles ever built.
Funny thing! I saw one today in downtown Manistique, MI! I had to stop and take a second look because I had just read your post this morning.:cool

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Gosh, I forgot all about the Yugo. They were more like You don't Go. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or proud to say I actually test drove a Pacer when they were introduced. An odd car to say the least.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts