My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased 10 acres, will cut 8. Six acres of pasture, hilly but not extremely rough, 2 acres around house, hilly and fairly smooth. Have never owned a ZT before, test drove the following around dealer parking lot and small yard.

2015 Ferris IS2100Z 54"
Vanguard 26hp 810cc
$8400 otd

2015 Gravely Pro Turn 160 60"
Kaw FX730 23.5hp
$8000 otd (2 hrs on meter, demo)

2015 Scag Tiger Cat 52"
Kaw FX691 22hp
$8400 otd

Could feel the ride difference between the Ferris 700 and 2100 just in parking lot. Threw out 700.
Just test driving under those "perfect conditions" and on different days could not tell difference in ride on the 3 above.
The suspension system is what attracted me to the Ferris, I am 57 and would like as much comfort as possible.

Gravely & Ferris dealer close to same on service, dependable, distance.
Scag dealer gave me no love, but have heard great things about the machines.
I have specs on all.
Appreciate any feedback/opinions on the 3 machines, engines, ride, cutting times, price, ect.
Much difference between aluminum and cast iron spindles?
Will stop here for now, appreciate your help in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Having never had the opportunity to use, or the need to have a ZT mower, I can't help you out at all about which machine is better than another. That said, I did tour the Ariens/Gravely factory in Brillion, WI, I can tell you that the company is very dedicated to the customer and it is still owned by members of the Ariens family. Their moto is "Passionate People - Astounded Customers".

I can also tell you that having a dealer that you trust, and provides good service is every bit as important as having a good machine.

Follow up conversations with those you've talked to might be in order to get a better feel for the dealership.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I would go with one of the machines from a good dealer. It's really important to have a good dealer, or you might get screwed on warranty. All of these machines are really nice quality, but if the Scag doesn't come with a good dealer, I'd also stay away unless you really like it. I'd test drive the Gravely to compare the ride to the Ferris.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I don't know first hand but the guys who work at Kens shop always talk highly of Ferris.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts