My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
next year,around spring I am thinking about buying a new riding mower,my yard isn't that big,back yard is about 75'x75',front yard problably even smaller than that,land is pretty flat terrain.i mainly want it,so I can put a bagger on it and picking up leaves in the fall,because I get a lot betwwen my trees and the neigbors falling in my yard.my budget is not much more than $1000.i see homedepot carries Ariens, and there entry level is around a grand,also sears has a basic Craftsman for around the same,plus I can get a murray from Walmart for the same.i was wondering what you guys think of those brands,im leaning towards the Ariens,i heard theyre husqavarna built,which I thought would be better than Murrays,or who ever builds craftsman basic mowers.i know you get what you pay for,but $1000 is about all I can do,and I would like a new one,with a warranty.thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hi pro! Well some Craftsman and Ariens are made by AYP, which also make Huskavarna. Some Craftsman are actually MTD made now, can tell by shifter and fender pan. The Murrays of late are made by parent company Briggs and Stratton I believe. I have heard bad things about those. The best thing would be to start looking and find a machine YOU like and do your research on it! Google the model number and check our parent forum MTF in that area for fellows who own it! Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Like Eric said, check out all the reviews you can find and see what others who actually own and have used those models have to say. Especially how the bagging system works since you are looking for. I don't know about riders with baggers, but I can tell you that picking up leaves with a walk behind mower can be a frustrating experience. Unless they are perfectly dry, they don't pick up well, and they're dusty as all get out when they are dry and most easily picked up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my property is (total) just under a 1/2 acre, riding mower does not do the small front yard or the side patch.
but does most of the back yard and as the land is tilted at a angle not just side to side. not that much of a slope. high point to low is about 3 feet. and land is not even. at least a good 1/4 acre of area. number of trees and live rocks.
but this old used mower (mid-late 90's sears craftsman), is great cause i have a bad back.
pushing a mower is a problem for me. even a "self propelled" would not work so great... cost a lot less.
but even then i still need to get the push unit out for the trim and then the weed whacker.
but with luck in a couple years (just bought this place) can set up the back yard so far less trim required.

maybe even set up a bracket on the mower for the (not a cheap wally wourld chinese unit) weed whacker?

so i say yes to buying one.
look around for a good used unit. they do pop up every so often. but expect to drop some coin in-to it.

but new ones you can get the extras for it that fit. aka: your bagger, etc.
and get a valid warranty... if bought at a dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts