My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am restoring a 1972 model 8230 and can't decide on keeping the original color using a rattle can or going custom with candy lime green in top quality urethane and Hi impact resistant 20 year clear coat.

I am looking for your opinions and input on what you would choose if cost was not a factor and why you would go with that choice. The mower will be in service as well.

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I show mine so I paint them as close to original as possible so people can see what "Factory" looked like. All mine were painted with rattle cans, no problems with that. Hey, it's your mower, do what you want. (Although I have been known to do some things just to see peoples reactions. Been thinking about painting one purple and pink for the girlfriend. I love it when someone raises one eyebrow and goes Huh?)

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I show mine so I paint them as close to original as possible so people can see what "Factory" looked like. All mine were painted with rattle cans, no problems with that. Hey, it's your mower, do what you want. (Although I have been known to do some things just to see peoples reactions. Been thinking about painting one purple and pink for the girlfriend. I love it when someone raises one eyebrow and goes Huh?)
what are you going to do make a barbie lawn mower? if so dont forget the little flower sticker on the shroud and the green pinstriping!:sarcasm:

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Well, a Lawn Boy purist would probably scoff at the idea of using anything other than Grabber Green. Then, there are those who would say that it's only original once so you shouldn't paint it at all.

Hey, it's your mower, and if it's one you're going to use, then paint it up in what ever color makes you smile when you get it out of the shed.

If money is no object, how about doing something like this?
http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/42-lawn-mower-main-forum/35-atomic-yard-master.html

What ever you choose, be sure to come back here with plenty of pictures of it before, during and after the process. We'd even like to see a video of it as you push it around the yard in it's new coat just sos we can hear it as well as look at it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can agree with keeping it original color. But so far I have not been impressed at all with durability of the dupli color engine enamel on a few test panels... and the grabber green cannot be easily matched in a base coat clear coat do to the vibrant color as I have tried.

I will be posting a lot of photos on the project in the next day or so. So far I have powder coated the upper and lower muffler in hi temperature cast aluminum color. And the blade adapter and stiffener in black powder as well as the handle brackets in bright silver powder coat.

So stay tuned, and I look forward to more input on the deck color.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I think you'll be pleased with the durability and longevity of powdercoat should you decide to go in that direction.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you on the powder coat. .. I just started using it on some pieces listed and it seems pretty durable. I would try it on the deck but I don't have a oven big enough to cure it yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a test the other day on a scrap piece of metal. .. abrasive blasted it and did two Coats of the rattle can grabber green from dupli color. Let it dry for 24 hours then applied a adhesion promoter and did three full wet coats of hi solids urethane clear. After 48 hours i beat it with a hammer and it has held up. So I think that will be the plan other than a few coats of epoxy primer over the magnesium deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh the clear coat is from Tamco paint it is there Hi Impact clear they will sell by the quart as well. Will also be there epoxy primer I will use as well.

www.tamcopaint.com go to clears and it is the Hi -Impact clear

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Good deal! Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update .... here are a few pics of parts I have powder coated. Upper and lower muffler was powder coated with 1200 degree powder. The blade adapter and stiffener was in mat black and handle brackets in silver sparkle.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
^^^

You've been busy! Looking good! Your hard work is definitely going to payoff in the end. :)

Looking forward to seeing the next update.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts