My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to this site and was hoping to hear from those who are much more mechanically inclined than myself.

This past weekend, I changed the oil, oil filter, hydraulic fluid, hydraulic fluid filters and cleaned the air filter on my 2 yr old bad boy ZT mower. I was proud that it all went well and then I went out to mow... nearly an hour later, I noticed a wierd smell and found the whole back half of the mower was covered in fluid. My first thought was a hose broke or something of that sort. Upon further investigation, I found the oil filter was not fully seated (about 2 full turns) and it appears all the engine oil came out. The engine was still running when I noticed and I quickly shut the mower off but I am soooo afraid I have done some serious damage to the 27 hp Kohler motor.

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
7,692 Posts
:ditto: You won't know until you start it up if you've damaged anything Hopefully, you didn't fry any bearings or rings. When you start it up, see if it has the same amount of power as it did before. A symptom of severe ring/bore wear is loss of power or smokiness. Also, listen for unusual noises that might indicate rod bearing wear. If it runs normally, you should be all right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all. Thanks for the help.

Just an update...

I refilled the engine oil, crossed my fingers and tried to start it... It wouldn't even crank/turn over.

I had the local supplier come and pick the mower up yesterday and I am now waiting to see how much this will cost to get repaired.

The guy who picked it up said that the oil filter should greased and tightened more than hand tight which is not what the manual said. It also sounds like this has happened to others. Does anyone know if this is a common issue?

I am afraid the cost of replacing the motor will be nearly the same as the cost of the machine itself... ughh!

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
I'll be crossing my fingers for you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just received a call from the local supplier who indicated the motor is a total loss. A new replacement will cost $1800. Gulp!

The engine had 104 hours on it...

Not sure I have any other options...

Anyone out there have any viable options or ideas?

Thanks,
Nik

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear this.
That is unfortunate.

In terms of other options, you could consider a used motor but there are always unknowns going that route unless you know the history behind the motor.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
This is really bad news, but given that the dealer told you of a procedure that varied from what the manual said, is there any possibility of there being a warranty issue involved?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am working that angle. The guy who picks up the mower is not the same person who works on them or sells them...

I asked the mechanic if he sees this very often, he indicated that I should not feel bad because I am not the only one this has happened to...?

·
Administrator
7,692 Posts
I would definitely point out emphatically that the procedure in the manual was incorrect. It really stinks that this happened; I'm sure hoping that you are able to get some warranty coverage here.:^:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts