My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pic of a bridge crossing a creek ,named Jeorges Creek,
A train track crossing the bridge, A sky above the train tressel. Thats 4 different means of transportation in one spot. Right here where I can drive past it every day. its the old hwy. 62/412 near Yellville AR.
Does anyone know of such a location? water,highway ,rails,and the sky.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I would of never, ever thought of looking at it that way. Makes you want to stop and look at things in a different light from time to time. Pretty neat Doc. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
A long time ago, I was driving across the bridge over the Hudson River from NY into MA. There is a train bridge alongside the highway bridge. Looking downriver, as I was entering the bridge, I saw a boat really moving upriver. Huge rooster tail. The boat had a helicopter flying just above and behind it. I was kind of following offshore power boat racing, then. I realized right away that the boat was Betty Cook's and she was trying to set a speed record from New York City to The Port of Albany. At the time all this was happening, there was a train on the other bridge heading west. Betty's boat went right under me, as did the helicopter, while I was abreast of the train. Got pretty crowded there for a second or two. I was going about 60 due east. The train was going about 30, due west. Betty and the helicopter were going over 100, due north. She broke the record, too.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Living on the Mississippi River border of Illinois and Iowa, bridges are a fact of life. One of them in the area connects the City of Rock Island, IL to Davenport, IA via the Rock Island Arsenal at Lock and Dam 15. Rail traffic uses the upper level of the bridge while auto traffic uses the lower level. There is a swing span section that opens to allow barge traffic on the river to pass through the locks. It's very interesting to watch a bridge that's over 100 years old in action, but kind of erie driving a car across while a train is going over just a few feet above you.

Visit Quad Cities » Rock Island Arsenal

Here is a video of what you get to see if you're coming from the Iowa side heading to Illinois when they swing the span to lock a barge through. Notice the jogger who didn't make it before the pedestrian gate closed and had to head back, and listen as the person making the movie puts his car in park. Might as well sit back, relax and enjoy the show if you find yourself on the bridge when a barge is coming through. It takes a while.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All that is very interresting, I was born and raised there close by. I lived in Quincy IL. till I was 38 year old.
My Son and Grandson still live there, they race late model race cars in Quincy,Davenport and DesMoines.
I was up to DesMoines last Summer for a few days to a "Good Guys car show"
I have crossed the steel floor bridge as a little kid with my Dad. He had stories about the bridge,like knocking the mirrows off his big truck while meeting another big truck. Seems like the bridge used to be more narrow way back then.
Your info and viveo are good stuff , I liked all of it. Thanks for the memories. Doc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts