My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, another story. This one is the story of a 1973 5 HP Briggs that, from what I can tell, came off a Montgomery Ward tiller. Pulled it off the shelf thinking it'd fire right up with a little carb cleaning and maybe a new plug/coil. I was right...in a way.

First thing we did was check the oil. All there was on the stick was some silvery sludge that felt like valve lapping compound. Pulled the drain plug expecting silvery sludge and instead was shocked by a clear substance. WATER. How water got into the crankcase we may never know, and I don't want to know. Put fresh oil in, and checked for spark. Nada. Pulled the cover, seemed easy enough, old style flywheel nut, came right off. Air gap was set right, so I popped the flywheel off, took the points cover off, cleaned them, etc. etc. etc. Nothing. I eventually got fed up with it, yanked the wire out of the point/condenser assembly, put the cover back on and threw one of the many spare Magnetron coils we have. Single magnet flywheel, we weren't sure if it would work. Luckily, it did.

After, did a compression test and it had 40 PSI..seemed a little low. Pulled the head, put some oil in the cylinder and watched the air bubble up past the rings. Looking back at it now, they were probably just stuck.

I had gotten sidetracked by a Kawasaki FC150V..or rather 11 of them, so the first time it fired I was simply a bystander. Buddy pulled the rope, it started, and across the shop me and another kid were standing there getting sandblasted by the rust chunks shooting from the muffler as it disintegrated.

3 oil changes later, a carb rebuild, putting linkages on the carb, and realizing the screen on the flywheel actually serves a purpose, it runs, idles, and at full throttle revs up to almost 5k RPM without imploding.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a great feeling knowing a motor no one had any faith in runs almost perfectly. I'll probably get some pictures/video of it running in a couple weeks.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
You can't kill 'em.

Makes you wonder how if that had been a modern engine how the results would have turned out. Probably not. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Cool beans. The old Briggs were war horses. I personally like the old 9hp model 23's. I have 5 or 6 stowed away, plus the one on my '53 Country Squire(Economy). Thanks for sharing :cool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts