My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I identify the engine on this thing, to find a size or part number for a bolt I'm missing that holds the carb on the the engine? Sadly, it fell out, and my son just jammed a too long bolt in there that we had lying around. Not good. I know it's a B&S 4HP, but I can't find a model number on this engine.

This old 1998 MTD Yardman 22" has seen better days, but starts every time and mows well, I want to keep it functioning. I may even clean/paint it one day :)

Odd Bolt:

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found it :)

10A902-2189-B2 and briggs still had a parts list and operators manual for free download :)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a new air cleaner and the bolt I needed from B&S directly, it was a whole 5 bucks for both, and they took off the shipping for some reason. I like free shipping!

I got a new spark plug locally, and my son is coming over to drain the oil next Saturday because I have a case of 30W in the shed and I think it could use fresh oil.

I also ordered an original blade for it from Amazon, it only set me back 17 with shipping.

This little mower is finally getting a little TLC :cool It was given to me 3 years ago by a lady who bought it from a mower repair shop used, so it deserves some good treatment by now.

While I was wiping off labels and looking for the engine codes, I did notice that rust is starting to make little 1/4" holes here and there on the deck, so I may look for a mower with a bad engine next spring and transplant this little B&S onto it. This engine runs and runs, I bet if I take care of it, it'll outlast me. :ROFL

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Every mower likes to get a little attention once in a while!:ROFL Yep, a well-maintained motor usually can last a lot longer than the deck. Of course, so many people abuse their engines, you won't have any trouble finding a good deck!:sidelaugh:2th:

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK the air filter arrived from B&S today, but the screw I ordered wasn't in the box. I tired to mail them about the omission, but their contact from doesn't say if the message went through or not. I wish the dimensions were on the descriptions for these parts... I could care less about the $1.80 I paid them, I really need that dang screw. I bet I could get it locally for 15 cents if I knew what it was. :(

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's all good, B&S sent the scew/bolt I needed. I got everything done to the little mower now, except I have to wait for my son to change the blade out of me, and change the oil. I can't get the blade off he installed last year, and I can't get the oil drain bolt out of the bottom of the engine, so now I'm just waiting on him.

Looking closely at this little MTD Yardman mower, it's pretty well built. I suspect barring some kind of damage to it from debris in the yard we don't see, it should last a good long time yet. It's amazing how nice it is, considering it's a 1998 model.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Yep, they made pretty good stuff back then, so I'd have to agree with you on believing it'll last a good long time yet. I've got a 1999 MTD that's still going strong.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've got one just like it. Taking it to the shop today because the plastic that holds the throttle cable to the handle sheared off. Also, I need to get a shroud for where the cable mounts to the engines, because I took off that styling shroud (it was a PITA to access the aircleaner).

Bought it in April 1998. I hope the Troy Bilt FB 110 I bought to replace it lasts that long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts