My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JD 14sb that was purchased new,jeez, must be about 20yrs ago.[green] It has the 5.5 hp Kawasaki engine. While still under warranty, every once in a while ,it would contiuously smoke when started. I would shut it off and re-start it and it would be fine. Took it to the dealer and either he did not care, or it wouldn't do it for him, nothing was done. Have only used it a few times in 15 yrs, but it seems to be a little worse now. My son may have a use for it now,so I was wondering if it was maybe something simple that was worth messing with. any ideas? It always has and still does run like a champ. Thanks for any thoughts.[ rather not get into a major tear-down]

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Since you said don't use it very often at all, do you store it with a bit of oil, or something like Sta-Bil Fogging Oil, in the cylinder to keep things lubed up and the rings free? If so, it may just be that lubrication you put in the cylinder burning off upon start up. If you don't fog the cylinder, you should consider doing so if the mower is going to sit for a fairly long time.

I've noticed that it isn't necessarily uncommon for some of my mowers to spit out a bit of smoke when using the choke at start. Especially if they have been sitting for some time. It's when they continue to smoke after they've warmed up that I know I have a real problem.

Others will chime in with their notions soon too.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My well used Craftsman rider would puff quite a bit at first start when I bought it. I really needed it at the time so I bought it that way and after changing the oil and filter and running it a few times I realized it wasn't doing it anymore. Quality of oil you put in and the length of time between changes can make a difference. Been a couple years and a couple oil changes and no smoke.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm with the above, if it primarily smokes after you haven't used it for awhile.

The other things to check are an overfull crankcase, or a blocked crankcase breather.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the idea's. I will check them out. What bugs me is that it has done this on and off thing since it was new. Appreciate the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts