My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired an old Jacobsen lawn mower. I think it may be a JR-320 model???
J-100-V.JPG

Engine Model # j-100-v

S/N 12398

This number is on the deck 18-9857

It is not getting spark & I cannot figure how to get the starter pulley off. I think it is threaded but want to make sure before I twist too much on it. I cannot find any info on this machine. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am updating this thread.
The pulley is threaded. I got the flywheel off & removed and cleaned the points. I now have spark. The engine model # is J-100-V. Does anyone know what is the correct plug for this mower?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Jake is a little newer but always used a J8. Compared to the new engines those old ones were not that picky. Here's a chart I found for the old Jakes:
Classic Engines » Jacobsen
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to find a J8.
Do you know where I may find a carb kit? I'm sure the carb will need redone but don't want to open it until I have the parts to put it back together. It is a Tillotson MT3A.
tillotson1.JPG

tillotson2.JPG

tillotson3.JPG

·
Administrator
6,218 Posts
Off hand I don't know of a source to name for that carb kit but I think they are still out there. Been a number of years since I recall any members here working on one of them. Let us know if and where you find one as I could use one myself. Last time I had mine running which was several years ago it was starting to leak fuel pretty bad. The mower I have my father bought used in 1965. I think I found it actually dated back to the middle 50's age wise and everything is still original on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Off hand I don't know of a source to name for that carb kit but I think they are still out there. Been a number of years since I recall any members here working on one of them. Let us know if and where you find one as I could use one myself. Last time I had mine running which was several years ago it was starting to leak fuel pretty bad. The mower I have my father bought used in 1965. I think I found it actually dated back to the middle 50's age wise and everything is still original on it.
I found this website that may have some parts for my carb. (Dennis Carpenter Ford Restorations - Truck, Bronco, Car, Tractor, and Cushman Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts for Trucks, Broncos, Cars, Tractors and Cushman Scooters). They deal with old Cushman scooters which I think use the same carb on some of them. I sent them an email & am waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received a reply about the kit for the carb. They have one available.

Jacobsen J100 J125 J150 J175 J200 J225 J318 Tillotson MT3 MT4 MT36 MT59 Carb Kit DI 21118
$32.95

Also what kind of two stroke oil do you use & what mix ratio?

·
Administrator
6,218 Posts
Cool! I bookmarked that site. (y) Mix ratio is 16:1. Originally it was 30W non detergent oil. But I have used the newer two-cycle oils available in it. I am leery of the ones claiming one mixture for all on that old of an engine. They were a pretty tough engine. For years at home dad dumped some motor oil in the tank when he filled mine up instead of keeping a separate two cycle mixed can. But we still had leaded gas at that time too.
There is another forum that I have been a member of for years. There are a lot of guys there with antique engines like ours. Here's an older thread from there covering what we have been talking about and also a carb diagram that will be helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool! I bookmarked that site. (y) Mix ratio is 16:1. Originally it was 30W non detergent oil. But I have used the newer two-cycle oils available in it.
Thanks a million for your help. I have some non-detergent motor oil. Is that what they used to run in these machines? I see on your attachment that using 30 wt. non detergent oil you mix it at 8 oz. oil per gallon of gas. What mix did you use when using the two stroke oil?

·
Administrator
6,218 Posts
I use the same 16:1 ratio for the two-cycle oil. The old engines need more oil then the newer engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First of all I want to thank everyone who replied to this thread. With the knowledge provided on this website & another website, this is what I have done to the machine,
I cleaned the points, gas tank, sediment bowl, air cleaner & muffler. I did not do anything to the carb, Thought I would try to start it before messing with the carb. I put a new plug & fuel line on it. Mixed up some gas with non detergent 30w oil with a 16 to 1 ratio. One pull & she fired up & purred like a kitten.
Thanks again.(y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
You know, it's good that I found this topic. I recently found a very old lawn mower after moving in. I think it was left over from the previous owner. It's very old and almost all covered in rust, so I'll have to clean it up. I started today and will update my comment by adding a photo in a couple of days. I can't even figure out what manufacturer this mower has. I can't use it now, but it's a good thing I brought my lawn mower with me from kylesgarage.com and now I can bring the lawn into a beautiful view

1 - 13 of 13 Posts