My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this old non-running hra 215 sxa for $50 at a garage sale. I had spark, compression but no fuel. I pulled the carb, gave it a good cleaning, re-installed and it started but was WIDE OPEN running. So I bought a China carb and put it on. Starts just fine but as soon as I go anywhere below Rabbit, it shuts down just like if I put it to Stop. Any ideas out there?? New to Hondas!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I picked this old non-running hra 215 sxa for $50 at a garage sale. I had spark, compression but no fuel. I pulled the carb, gave it a good cleaning, re-installed and it started but was WIDE OPEN running. So I bought a China carb and put it on. Starts just fine but as soon as I go anywhere below Rabbit, it shuts down just like if I put it to Stop. Any ideas out there?? New to Hondas!!
Update!! Problem solved. It turns out I had Turtle but no Rabbit. I had the Idle set real high. Turns out all I had to do was slightly adjust the Governor post coming out of the engine. A slight (and I do mean slight) turn counter clockwise gave me my Rabbit. I also gave the choke arm a slight bend forward and now I've got full choke, Rabbit, Turtle and everything in between and Stop. That old girl runs like a new one now..........well mostly. I'm also giving the inside of that little engine a good cleaning. 4/5 motor oil and 1/5 Marvel Mystery Oil. I ran it for about 3 hrs. and then drained it, black as a moonless night, really nasty. I refilled it with the same mixture and will run it a bit longer this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This might be same thing I’ve got going on. Can you post a few pics so I can see what you’re describing?

I just replaced throttle cable and carb and it starts but surges on choke. But as soon as I move it, the thing wants to die.
It turns out that a slight adjustment of the governor arm cured the problem. Just be carful when you turn it, it only takes a slight movement counter clockwise to get it right again.
i hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a pic of the governor arm. It's the black thing in the center of the photo. It's the only thing that goes into the engine, right at the back of the throttle plate
Gas Auto part Machine Metal Engineering

Gas Auto part Machine Metal Engineering

1 - 4 of 4 Posts